Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Speed King

Mandrake 9.0 hatest i845E + ICH4

I managed to get Mandrake 9.0 installed again and got the same PCI resource collision error and as a result couldn't see my IDE devices on the ICH4 controller. I could use the promise controller for the install and that is what I did.

Once I got it installed I installed the new kernel and ran lilo. When I booted the new kernel it picked up the ICH4 cotroller and other devices and enabled DMA on them but I have a big problem that my newbie experience is too little.

I get a Kernel Panic when Linux attempts to mount filesystems. Could this be because with the new kernel and my other drives are recognised, the device code (hda,hdb,hdc you get the picture) have changed.

My IDE config is

Intel Primary Master - 40GB (not detected during install - but set as "hda" with new kernel)

Intel Primary Slave - None

Intel Secodary Master - CD-RW (not detected during install - but set as "hdc" with new kernel)

Intel Secondary Slave - None

Promise Primary Master - 80GB (detected as hda during install - but set as "hde" with new kernel)

Promise Primary Slave - None

Promise Secondary Master - 20GBLinux (detected as hdc during install - but set as "hdg" with new kernel)

Promise Secondary Slave - DVD (not detected during install - but set as "hdh" with new kernel)

You see my Linux boot drive partition changes from "hdc5" to hdg5" with the kernel versions. How do I get around this if that is the problem?

Quote:
I managed to get Mandrake 9.0 installed again and got the same PCI resource collision error and as a result couldn't see my IDE devices on the ICH4 controller. I could use the promise controller for the install and that is what I did.

Once I got it installed I installed the new kernel and ran lilo. When I booted the new kernel it picked up the ICH4 cotroller and other devices and enabled DMA on them but I have a big problem that my newbie experience is too little.

I get a Kernel Panic when Linux attempts to mount filesystems. Could this be because with the new kernel and my other drives are recognised, the device code (hda,hdb,hdc you get the picture) have changed.

My IDE config is

Intel Primary Master - 40GB (not detected during install - but set as "hda" with new kernel)
Intel Primary Slave - None
Intel Secodary Master - CD-RW (not detected during install - but set as "hdc" with new kernel)
Intel Secondary Slave - None
Promise Primary Master - 80GB (detected as hda during install - but set as "hde" with new kernel)
Promise Primary Slave - None
Promise Secondary Master - 20GBLinux (detected as hdc during install - but set as "hdg" with new kernel)
Promise Secondary Slave - DVD (not detected during install - but set as "hdh" with new kernel)

You see my Linux boot drive partition changes from "hdc5" to hdg5" with the kernel versions. How do I get around this if that is the problem?

YOur intuition is absolutely correct. You need to edit your fstab to correct the drive mappings.

the fstab can fe bound in /tc/fstab. Do this in one of two ways, go into rescue mode or disconnect the electrical molex connectors to the problematic drives until you fix the fstab.

best of luck.

It's a kernel bug. I never got my Asus P4B533-E (same chipset as yours) to work correctly. The version of the kernel that Mandrake 9.0 includes has the code for this built in, but it's disabled and you have to recompile the kernel to reenable it. I tried to do so unsuccessfully, but that may be because I suck at recompiling kernels manually. I'm hoping that this is fixed in Mandrake 9.1.

If you need a solution NOW though, Red Hat 8.0 handles this correctly with an older kernel version.

--Alexander

I edited fstab and also updated my lilo.conf to reflect the root fs as kdg5 for the new kernel string.

upon reboot the system wont' start at all - kernel panic all the way.

U'd think the simple matter of changing partitions/drive locations wouldn't matter much. I've done this many times in Windows without much trouble but this is one area where Linux really needs some work:(