Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
odysseas

I don't know how to instal amarok in simply mepis 3.3

Hi all

I recently installed Simply Mepis 3.3 and found out that it doesn't have amarok, probably the best equivalent of iTunes. I live in England so I found in the magazine Linux Format a version of amarok. Unforunately I am really new to the whole area of linux so I would like some serious help if possible with spesific ways of installing amarok...

Thanks

Odysseas

What is the exact name of the package of amaroK that you have? Is it something like amarok-1.2.1.tar.bz2? Or does it have a .deb extension?

Anyway, amaroK is included as an installable package in Mepis.

Mepis has Synaptic, which is the easiest for some.

However, I suggest the following;

1. Get to a terminal window and get to root user. (Once at a terminal window, type su hit the enter key, then put in your root password (hit the enter key).

2. Once there, type in apt-get update (hit the enter key).

3. Once the package list is updated and the prompt re-appears, type in apt-get install amaroK. Note the capital "K" not amarok! This may take a while. You will see a percent progress bar as it installs packages and dependencies.

Apt-get is a package (program) installer that should take care of any other dependency needs that amoraK should have.

amaroK should be installed. Find it under start-->Multimedia.

Thanks Danleff, Wow, I didn't know about this nice application. It's awesome...It's very close to Itunes and probably even better in my opinion.