4 replies to this topic

#1 odysseas

odysseas

stranger

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 02:22 PM

Hi all
I recently installed Simply Mepis 3.3 and found out that it doesn't have amarok, probably the best equivalent of iTunes. I live in England so I found in the magazine Linux Format a version of amarok. Unforunately I am really new to the whole area of linux so I would like some serious help if possible with spesific ways of installing amarok...

Thanks
Odysseas

#2 danleff

danleff

Carpal Tunnel

• Moderators
  • 2903 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 02:41 AM

What is the exact name of the package of amaroK that you have? Is it something like amarok-1.2.1.tar.bz2? Or does it have a .deb extension?

Anyway, amaroK is included as an installable package in Mepis.

Mepis has Synaptic, which is the easiest for some.

However, I suggest the following;

1. Get to a terminal window and get to root user. (Once at a terminal window, type su hit the enter key, then put in your root password (hit the enter key).

2. Once there, type in apt-get update (hit the enter key).

3. Once the package list is updated and the prompt re-appears, type in apt-get install amaroK. Note the capital "K" not amarok! This may take a while. You will see a percent progress bar as it installs packages and dependencies.

Apt-get is a package (program) installer that should take care of any other dependency needs that amoraK should have.

amaroK should be installed. Find it under start-->Multimedia.

#3 odysseas

odysseas

stranger

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 12:28 PM

Thanks man
I ll gice it a go

Odysseas

#4 LinuxCrusader

LinuxCrusader

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 10:19 AM

Thanks Danleff, Wow, I didn't know about this nice application. It's awesome...It's very close to Itunes and probably even better in my opinion.

#5 iamroot

iamroot

addict

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 08:50 AM

You might want to try Rhythmbox as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq