Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Auskalo

Truly multilingual environment?

Does anyone use more than one or two languages on WinXP? Well, I'm having trouble with a feature that seems to have improved Windows functionality on a "global" environment. Or maybe I am wrong. So, please help me if that's the case.

As translation school student, I have to use english, german, and chinese on my pc. I have no problem with my apps, since they all have an english interface. The real problem rises when I have to manage different folders and files labeled with original foreign names. Though I can read them on Windows Explorer, I cannot open them into some apps, like Acrobat.

The only workaround I have is to change the setting in Regional and Language Options>Advanced>language of non-Unicode programs. But, if I choose eg Chinese I have to restart WinXP and then I can't read the folders or files named in german, you know, cos ü, ä, ß become chinese characters...

The second annoying thing is why should I ever have to use a feature thought for foreign version PROGRAMS (my acrobat is english) in order to get foreign file names opened in an english app???

I don't know if you have already experienced this, or I missed something... For now, I only think MS should speak of By-choice-BIlingual interfaces instead of MULTIlingual tools...

Thanx for any feedback.