Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
lammypie

Remove Admin Account from WINXP Welcome Screen

as I become more and more security paranoid, I wish only the user accounts to be visible on the welcome screen, and no administrator accounts (that way people have to guess the administrator user name as well as the password, and it is not readily visible for people to mess with)

I wished to remove all of the administrator account from the welcome screen.

Most of the tech forums I visit seem to suggest that the welcome screen will always display an account with administrator rights. well I've just managed to get a welcome screen with only limited accounts displayed!

Some of you may know this - so apologies, many will not.

Create another Administrator account.

Use Tweakui to untick 'display administrator account'

untick 'display newadmin account'

all of the other user accounts are limited accounts only.

SO FAR, the welcome screen will not display 'newadminaccount' but will still display the original 'administrator' account even though tweakxp is set not to display it.

So having created a new administrator account. I simply disable the original 'administrator' account in computer managment.

NOW - NO administrator account is displayed on the welcome screen.

I can access the new administrator account I created by pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL twice and inputting the userid and password.

This way none of the users have any idea of what account is the admin account, and seeing as the admin account is a complelety different name to administratorm and the original admin account is disabled it makes hacking it VERY hard.

Hope this helps somebody

Another way, is to access the user accounts via Control panel, User accounts. Then click on "Change the way users log off and on"

Next Uncheck "Use the welcome screen".

Now, you have to type in the user name and password. No more of this click the user name thing.

Also, to clear the previous logged on username from showing up, simply do the following.....

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

DontDisplayLastUserName REG_SZ

Range: 0 or 1

Default: 0 (false)

By default, Windows NT displays the name of the last person to log on in the Username space of the Logon Information dialog box. If you add this value entry and set it to 1, the Username space is always blank when the Logon Information dialog box appears.