Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jennie458

Logitech Quickcam Messenger

I accidentally plugged in my webcam before I installed teh software , and now the webcam won't work at all. I keep getting an error code 28. I have no idea how to fix it I've tried uninstalling everyhtign adn reinstalling it again, but to no avail. My computer will find the new hardware but the new hardware wizard says it has failed because the data is not valid. Does anyone know how to fix this?? If you could help it owuld be great! thanks!

Getting those things to work without bumping into other devices is hit and miss at best sometimes. This is probably going through your USB port. This has worked for others but is by no means assured. Simply shut down your computer and unplug it from the wall. Leave it unplugged about an hour. Plug it back in and turn the machine on. If the USB port has reset itself, you're in business. Because there is a draw on the electrical supply, you might find your USB printer might start to act up. If the printer has a parallel port, connect it to the parallel Lpt1: port.

i have the same problem with the error code 28 when i install the drivers of quickcam..i bought it yesterday so plz help me if u know about it what to do.many thanks!!

Error code 28 usually means that the software for the device did not install. Most of these devices are installed through a file whose suffix is .inf . You can read what is in the .inf file by bringing up Windows explorer and right clicking on the inf file and then opening it with notepad or wordpad. This file will be on the CD given to you to install your device. Read what is in the .inf file to know the path from which the files will be installed. Make such a path or folder on your c:\ drive.

Then, copy the the .inf & assoc'd files to c:\ drive from cd, uncheck the read-only attribute (right click on the file, click on properties and on the General tab at the very bottom, click the box next to read only to get rid of the check mark)

Next (right click on the .inf file from Windows explorer and choose Edit which should start Notepad) edit the .inf (on your C:\drive and comment out the win98,me sections by putting a semi-colon ";" in front of those sections [which probably came BEFORE the w2k/XT sections]. I am only guessing that these are the drivers that are being installed before the .inf file gets to the w2k/XT and that's why the drivers are unrecognized. (You might have to supply the path to the .inf file in case it is looking for specific components from certain folders.) Anyway, save the .inf file that you just modified.

From Windows explorer, right-click on the modified .inf file, and then click on the word Install. That should install your device correctly.

I have the same problem. Tried both recommendations, but nothing happens. Is there no way to clear everything and start the installation from scratch? How can Windows XP remember that the webcam was plugged in BEFORE the setup was run?

I have the same problem. Tried both recommendations, but nothing happens. Is there no way to clear everything and start the installation from scratch? How can Windows XP remember that the webcam was plugged in BEFORE the setup was run?

the same here. HEEELP

On me is not showing any error but when the setup ask me to connect the camera on USB port, cant recognise it.

I cant believe that my camera will not work because i connected the usb before the setup!!!

Sampson i cant understand the hole you say. Are a bit difficult. There are thousand .inf on cd.

Unfortunately, these CD's vary. Generally, however, the inf file is in the same directory as the setup.exe.

But what maks you all think is of wrong setup the error? I think Logitech didnt gave the right drivers. I think the fact that camera is not detecting the drivers have to do with wrong drivers and not because you plugged the usb before installing the software

I just tried to setup the cam into other computer, with the correct way of course, and also nothing happened. So the problem is not that we first plugged the USB but the drivers released my logitech is not valid. So we must find others

I managed to install it without any problem on my laptop with Windows 2000 (english version). So I think the problem is the setup. Is there any way to install the drivers directly? What do I need to write to the registry to let my camera work?

Lucky you. For me it is still not working. Under VMWare its working on an international Windows XP. The funny thing is that under XP (without SP) there was no warning window (digitally not signed), but on my XP with SP2 there is this warning. What can be the reason?

vsbalint, try this. Uninstall the quickcam software. Since these things usually use a mess of tmp and chk files, bring up Windows Explorer and search for *.tmp - then delete them all. Then, search for *.chk and delete them all.

Then try to "cleanboot" your computer. What this will do is have the minimum running processes:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type "MSCONFIG" --> Click OK

2. On the General tab, choose, "Selective Startup"

3. Uncheck "Process SYSTEM.INI file"

4. Uncheck "Process WIN.INI file"

5. Uncheck "Load Startup Items"

6. Click on the Services tab.

7. At the bottom, check "Hide All Microsoft Services"

8. After checking that, uncheck all boxes in the window or click the button labeled "Disable All"

6. Click OK

7. Click "Restart"

When Windows comes back up, install your software (remember not to attach the camera before you do this)

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following.

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type "MSCONFIG"--> Click OK

2. On the General tab, choose, "Normal Startup"

3. Click OK

4. Click YES or "Restart", when asked to restart your computer.

Maybe then it will install.

I can't seem to get my logitech quickcam messenger microphone to work, it wont let me go on to "volume control" then " advanced controls" !!!! is it possible if you could tell me how to access it please smile

If you are on Messenger, this is one way it is done: go to Tools and then Audio/Video Tuning Wizard. Step through the configuration screens (where you can select your Web cam and adjust video settings) until you get to the screen that lets you adjust microphone volume. Drag the Volume slider to the left so that when you speak, there is no yellow or red in the Volume Indicator meter.