Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ballhead

VMware Workstation - XP Pro svc pk 2

I loaded the program and im trying to load Windows 3.1 i might have a bad set of .RAR files and a bad BOOTDISK.RAR for win3.1 but it just isn't working.

Anyone know how i can get this to work or where to get a good version of Win3.1 and how to put it in here. it keeps saying

"No Bootable CD, floppy or hard disk was detected."

To install an operating system, insert a bootable CD or floppy and restart the virtual machine.

I copied the boot disk and burnt it on a CD and that didn't work i even did the boot from ISO option and pointed to my BOOTDISK.iso and that didn't work.

any help

thanks

-drv

What os do you have? Or rather, go to bootdisk.com, to find a boot disk.

Though, I wonder why you are even wanting to run win 3.1.

This may sound obvious... but did you uncompress the RAR file before trying to boot off of it?

Ya that is pretty obvious i dont know allot but i do know enough to unzip the files and put them on a CD and i made them into an ISO. The VMWare program works but just cant get Win 3.1 to run virtually in it.

Honestly the only reason i want it to work is to play old games without having to do all kinds of magic tricks I just want them to run smooth like they should without messing with it.

My OS is the in thread subject. XP PRO SP2

Games:

Day of the Tentacle CD

Jones in the Fast Lane CD

Kings Quest 5, 6, 7 CD

I can play DOTT (ScummVM) and JFL and KQ5 (but just changing the resolution and color) but not 6 or 7 I just wanted to try to get it to work its no big deal. I will try bootdisk.com

thanks

-drv

What? Okay slow down cowboy... did the RAR files for Win 3.11 contain disk images or just individual files? If it was the former you should use the floppy disk images directly in the VM. If it was later you either:

1) Need to split the files onto the appropriate floppy disks.

2) Put all the files on a cd-rom and either a) make the cd bootable or B) download a bootable floppy disk image (that loads cd-rom drivers) and use that to access the files on the cd-rom.

Honestly I think the best solution for you is to search for a download of Window 3.11 that contains the actual floppy disk images rather than the raw files. It would save you a lot of time and effort in the long run. I could give them to you myself as I have a fully (unopened) copy of Windows for Workgroups 3.11 but I really don't want to open it smile

Better yet... just download DOSBox and run your old games in it. It will be a lot easier as it automatically handles memory, and has its own version of DOS you can use. You don't have to screw with any of the typical DOS crap:

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net

I think it is fascinating that someone would spend the money for VMware, just to run Windows 3.1, so they can play some old games.

But,hey, whatever works.....

People pay $$ for this program? Oh well. Yes the files are seperate. I will try the DOS idea thanks guys.

-drv