Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
amos1

Intel 915G Chipset may not run at SATA150

Just a quick note for you out there considering a motherboard based in the intel 915G express chipset.

915G chipset with ICH6: SATA150 may not work at UDMA6(ATA133)

ICH6 even though supporting SATA drives I think may be limited to UDMA5(ATA100)

915G chipset with ICH6RW: SATA150 should work at UDMA6(ATA133)using intel matrix raid technology

All in all the the benifits of a SATA HDD are not achieved in the bottom end chipsets without RAID technology, though granted these drives are easier to install.

Please correct me if I'm wrong

Just out of curiosity, what are you basing this theory on ?!?

I've been building quite a few 915/925 chipset systems recently, most being non-RAID with a single SATA drive and they all work just fine. Of course the non-RAID mode systems I left the chipset in the IDE mode as this then doesn't require an F6 install of the OPK pre-installs I use on a daily basis wink

Hi, have you tried testing a 915 chipset board without the raid controller built on? (ie no ICH6R). That configuration I've found mainly in the lower to mainstram boards (micro through to most on board graphics). I just found this anomily when bench testing both a IDE and SATA same size drive in the same box.

Originally posted by amos1:

Quote:
Hi, have you tried testing a 915 chipset board without the raid controller built on? (ie no ICH6R). That configuration I've found mainly in the lower to mainstram boards (micro through to most on board graphics). I just found this anomily when bench testing both a IDE and SATA same size drive in the same box.

Ah I see now. As to the configs I build, no, there isn't a reason to install an IDE(PATA) drive into a new system build when it has SATA ports, so no, I've never tried that config out and I think it's best to go with all SATA at this point, the price difference is so small now wink

So far I've not built any systems without the ICH6R chipset onboard, as a system builder I use primarialy, Asus, Intel and Aopen motherboards.

Hi...

I got a problem with my sata and my intel 915gav mobo.

First i intalled windows xp sp2, and it worked a couple of hours. After it, i decided to format, but i couldn't... like a disk problem. I intalled the sata on a intel 865g chipset, and it let me do partitioning and formatin.

I decided to reinstall the sata in my i925gav, but at the final of the installation of wxp sp2, everything was like after the first intallation... Should i get some "bios drivers" or what? Sincerelly i don't know what to do.

Note: My Sata is a seagate barracuda.

I'll apreciate help for this.