Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
martonbank

XP Pro duplicated

I have recently re installed xp pro on my pc and unfortunatley i have re installed it instead of replaced it, I now have two lots of xp installed which obviously takes up space and also makes me choose which to use on start up, two versions of xp pro or xp pro safe.

please will you tell me how to delete one version or how to completely remove both and start from scratch.

Thanks

Are you sure it is two copies? Do you have two different "windows" directories? In your "Documents and settings" folder, do you have a "default" profile, and a "defult.machine_name" profile? Can you give us what is in your boot.ini, this will help to determine whether or not you do have two different XP installs.

I am certain i have installed a second copy.

The original XP goes to a ctrl alt del login box when selected at startup and I can login as my admin login from work.

The (second) copy goes straight to normal desktop and doesn't require a login which is the one i prefer to use.

This PC is an ex work PC which was given to my children, it did work as part of a network which i wanted to cancel , This is why I reinstalled XP.

I am unsure as to the meaning of boot.ini (sorry im a bit of a layman at this).

Quote:

I am unsure as to the meaning of boot.ini (sorry im a bit of a layman at this).

Click Start->Run and execute: "notepad C:\boot.ini", without quotes.
Select all,copy and paste here.

Hi

does this help?

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

Wow. You've got two versions of Windows on the same partition? Man I've seen it done before but I've never seen it actually really work. My suggestion would be to reformat the whole drive and reinstall.

The PC I am asking about doesnt have a cd writer or internet access so I am a little wary of reformatting the drive due to losing any existing drivers.

Is there a way that te original setup which is listed above as WINNT can be deleted and the good version of XP left on which works fine apart from having to choose that option on startup.

Originally posted by martonbank:

Quote:

Is there a way that te original setup which is listed above as WINNT can be deleted and the good version of XP left on which works fine apart from having to choose that option on startup.

So you want to delete the WINNT section? Here is how:

In the XP, "WINDOWS", Login with Administrator, click->Start->Run, execute "cmd".

You get screen, something like to this (this is from my system):

Quote:

Microsoft Windows XP [version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985 - 2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Ville>

Now write:

Quote:

cd\

attrib -r -s -h boot.ini

copy boot.ini boot.bak

notepad c:\boot.ini

Modify the boot.ini to this:

Quote:

[boot loader]

timeout=10

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

Save the file and close notepad.

Now the boot loader will start Windows XP which is installed to "C:\WINDOWS", not to "C:\WINNT". And it will wait for 10 seconds for you to make choice between Windows and Recovery Console. If you do not make choice, it will start Windows by default.

Test it. Reboot.

When (/if ... smile ) you get back to XP, login with Administrator, start Explorer and browse to C: drive root. You'll see "Windows" and "Winnt" folders. Select the "WINNT" folder and press Del, to delete it / move to recycle bin. After it is deleted, empty your recycle bin, so you get some free space.

Now there should be no trace of the WINNT.

Good luck. smile

Do you have more than one partition on the harddrive (i.e. when you go to my computer, do you have, say, a C: drive and a D: drive under the hard drive section? If so, you could copy any important information on the C drive onto the D drive, then just format the C drive when you re-install Windows.