Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jester1

Wireless network hardware recommendations

I am about to install a wireless network in my home. I have looked around the internet, and for a router I have picked a Dell 2350 WLAN router. For my desktop, I am looking at a few different wireless network cards. One is a D-Link DWL-G520 Airbus, another is the Linksys Wireless G, and the last is a Netgear WG311. I am new at this wireless networking. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or recomendations on the router and cards I am looking at or any they thought would definately be better that I haven't listed.

I currently use a Netgear DG384G wireless 802.11g router (it also has an ADSL modem) and I'm very happy with it.

It has always provided me with pretty good network speeds and range and IMO has the best web interface.

As for a wireless card, I just bought a 'no-named' brand from a UK retailer and it has had no problems with the Netgear. When I'm downstairs (with the router upstairs, perhaps 15 metres away in total) the signal never usually goes below 30Mbits/s.

All-in-all, I'm very pleased. smile

Recommendations for wireless kit is always a funny area. I found that for every person praising a certain manufacturer/router theres always someone putting it down...

i use the d-link router and card for it's gooey interface and highly configurable firewall. i live on a hill and the laptop will pickup the signal from the bottom of the hill 1/2 mile away.

and no wireless reception problems even though there is so much goverment air activity around