Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
francoisp

Multiple domain controllers SBS 2003

I get this error on one of the SBS2003 Server, I was under the impression with SBS2003 one can have 2 domain controllers?

I have installed the one and DCPROMO-ed the other one in the domain now this error

"Multiple domain controllers running Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server have been detected in your domain. To prevent this computer from shutting down in the future, you must remove all but one of these from the domain."

But when I remove it, it tells me I must promote the server, whats up?!

Not sure if this helps or not....

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/techinfo/overview/generalfaq.mspx

states:

Q. What number and types of servers can exist in the Windows Small Business Server 2003 domain?

A.

There are no limits on the number or type of servers that can exist in a Windows Small Business Server 2003 domain, with the following exceptions:

Only one computer in a domain can be running Windows Small Business Server 2003.

Windows Small Business Server 2003 must be the root of the Active Directory forest.

Windows Small Business Server 2003 cannot trust any other domains.

A Windows Small Business Server 2003 domain cannot have any child domains.

Each additional computer running Windows Server 2003 must have a Windows Small Business Server 2003 client access license (CAL).

A Windows Small Business Server 2003 domain can have no more than 75 CALs. You can use CALs for each user or for each device.

So, essentially, SBS2003 is your PDC, if you can, set the other as your BDC or buy 2003 server and have it as your PDC for a 2nd domain. But realize this other domain can't be "trusted".

A couple things to try, turn off the 2nd server, then try to remove any 2ndary domain.

You may need to rebuild the 2nd server as a member server or BDC.

Thanks 4 the reply so in short Only one SBS server per SBS Domain, the others must be 2003 Server. What a pain...