Compatible Support Forums
STiX

shutdown link ?

is there a link that i can click to shut down my comp like a url that i can send to another comp to click and shut down the pc (basic shutdown)?

STiX

The resource kits for OSs issued by Microsoft used to have a shut down app with them whereby any "power user" account could send a command from a remote machine in the form of "shutdown -r 20" or something similar to shutdown, restart etc after a period of time. Don't know if it's still available in WinXP.

that helped me but it wasnt wat i was looking for .wat i am talking about is like a link that i can have my mom click on it it automaticlay opens the cmd prompt and does the command i want it to do like if u click(www.-shutdown.com or watever it will shutdown her comp do u kno wat i mean?) like i want to make a link that when she clicks on it i can control her cmd prompt to help he with her network? like i put cmd in and it preforms command on her comp? is this posible?

oh ya it is for windows xp cuz i think those commands are for nt

STiX

that program only works to ur network (like an office) it wont work over the web right? (like my mom is not hoked up to my comp in anyway on by the internet will it still work if i get her ip ? this is wat i want though but instead of putting comp name in i want to be able to put the ip adress is this possible?

STiX

Originally posted by Alec§taar:

Quote:

smile

(in fact, I cut it off here as a security risk potentially).

APK

what do u mean by risk like could put my comp in danger or didnt want the site to b in danger? and is pcanywhere a program and if yes were can i get it?

STiX

hmm ya i see wat u are saying. but honestly i dont kno that much about programing. wat i basicly wanted is a program that i can d/l for free that i can put an ip in and just shut down the comp connected to that ip. hmm

idk lol

STIX

Originally posted by STiX:

Quote:
hmm ya i see wat u are saying. but honestly i dont kno that much about programing. wat i basicly wanted is a program that i can d/l for free that i can put an ip in and just shut down the comp connected to that ip. hmm

idk lol

STIX

ugh thats clearly impossible.

and can you walk us through what you want to do a little if you dont mind cause if your mom can click a link so that you can remotely shut down her computer she can surely find her way to the start shutdown button

You could enable a telnet server (SSH2 is better )if the machine is an NT deriviant. You can then telnet (SSH) into it and run commands as the local user would.

Been ages since I've done this (Uni 3 years ago) and wouldn't know if there were any problems with such. Better idea is a pcAnywhere type program either by direct dial or over the web. WinVNC is available but as it is open source, it can be a security risk.

If you really want to go nuts, use MS SMS.

Originally posted by Alec§taar:

Quote:
Ha, Felix is going "Old-School Style" on us... nice!

smile

* via "Telnet Magic"...

APK

P.S.=> Felix, will the native TELNET server service in Windows 2000/2003 Server do the job here? I have not used TELNET services in AGES & it was used to run an applicaton remotely... Man, MANY a year, since the mid-90's iirc, & that was on As/400 systems (IBM iSeries as they are known by now iirc, outta the midrange systems world)... apk

lol i have no clue how to use it or wat it is all i know is, that it is a cmd in the command prompt but i dont know how to use it.

oh ya i have windows xp home lol i have never said that

STiX

You can but from memory you need to have account privileges(sp?) on the remote machine as there is no login prompt, it just takes you local details and passes them through. Also, only accounts in the administrator group on the machine you're trying to telnet to have telnet ability unless you extend the access in group policies. In order to use this, you need to be pretty snazzy with commandline operation and you can't see squat. Really only good for remote operation of daemon type processes.

STiX - get a price on pcAnywhere or find an equivalent. Then set up a modem dedicated to this program that you can dial into. From memory the license allows each pcAnywhere server to install the dialler client on unlimited machines - you can only use one at a time. This can be expensive if you live long distance.

Alternatively, use the native VPN setup in XP to have a private network between you and your Mum and then access that way. Only allow pcAnywhere to be accessed via that VPN link to limit security risks.

Does anyone have an opinion on terminal services solutions?

Yes it will take an IP. I use it all the time. The remote user you specify MUST have admin access. You cannot remotely shutdown a Windows machine without admin access.

how do u use this? cuz i downloaded it but dont kno wat to do next?

STiX

For example:

Quote:

C:\path_to_psshutdown\psshutdown \\mom -k

Where the path_to_psshutdown is path to psshutdown, e.g. if you downloaded and extracted the zip to desktop, then the command is something like this:

Quote:

"C:\Documents and Settings\STiX\Desktop\PsShutdn\psshutdown.exe" \\mom -k

Where 'STiX' is your Windows username.

This command should poweroff computer named 'mom'.

You can give this command from Windows' Run, Start->Run.

yes but this still dont let me put ip in so i would have to b connected to her though a network which we are not.

STiX

STix, have you looked at Remote shutdown pro? It supposedly does internet shutdowns.

Well, try:

Quote:

psshutdown \\nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn -k

where "nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn" is IP address.