Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Durt

Dead Hardrive?

I have a slave 80 GB WD IDE hard drive that I can't access. The bios will see it, but after booting, WinXP can't find it. This drive was working this morning, although I went through a really long chkdsk on one of the boots.

I tried booting off of a win98 floppy, that couldn't see it (I wanted to do a fdisk /mbr). I then booted off of a WinXP setup disk and setup saw the disk, but said that it couldn't access it. Soon after that I got blue screen hard fault.

Anything else I can try before throwing this hard drive away?

Can you see it from XP's disk management?

(If you can, you'll need to set a drive letter for it.)

Quote:

tried booting off of a win98 floppy, that couldn't see it (I wanted to do a fdisk /mbr).

The partition is most likely NTFS and that way 9x does not 'see' it.

Actually, fdisk can "see" an NTFS partition. Well, it states it as being non dos. Or some such.

I still use it. Unless someone here can point me in a direction, where I can load an os, with a floppy, and use some sort of partitioning program........

WinXP could not see it from Disk Managment.

I took the hard drive out of the first desktop and put the drive into a USB enclosure. When I plugged this enclusre into another desktop, hardware detection saw a 80 GB hard drive, but again, disk management didn't "see" it. Actually when I plugged it in, hardware detection saw the type of drive quickly, but was grinding away for about 10 minutes trying to read the drive before giving up. As you can assume, no drive letter assigned. I plugged the USB enclosure into a laptop as well, and I had the same results.

I am still in the 3 year warranty, so I am going to RMA this drive. The data lost wasn't all that critical. Still frustrating though. I would like to know if another hardware problem caused this drive to go bad.

Thanks for the help.

So, dos can't see it. But Bios does. I wonder if any offline tools would be able to see it. Like quicktech, or even spinrite 6 which finally supports NTFS.