Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
E-2k5

Radeon X850 XT Platinum or Edition For AGP or PCI-E

Hey guys i'm gonna buy a new copmuter very soon and i want to buy a good card for it and i was thinking of buying this card but i don't know which bus has the better performance and speed, maybe u can help me out, thanks! ^^

I have the X800 Pro AGP version on my P4 gaming rig.

I like it a lot and Half-Life 2 looks fabulous laugh

As for which interface to get, well since you do not have your new box yet, perhaps look at motherboards that support PCIe (PCI Express).

I have seen some very nice boards out there like the Asus P5GD2 Premium and also an SLI rig from Asus as well, based on the nForce 4 SLI chipset for Athlon 64/FX cpu's.

yeh thx for the info but the SLI would be payibg two cards so i prefer staying with radeon series... as for the interface... are u sure PCI-E is better? ,if so, im gonna buy it right now

PCI-E is the interface of the future whereas AGP is being phased out. Currently it's not really "better" for gaming. AGP/PCI-E right now are the same performance-wise for games, but it is more future-proof.

I have seen a couple of Aopen motherboards that have an LGA-775 along with the 865 chipset, hence it only has an AGP slot along with only supporting DDR1 memory.

However this is basically a transition type motherboard, where somebody has a good AGP card along with only DDR1 memory.

Any Intel 9xx series chipset only has PCIe interfaces wink

sweet so i just need to get X850 XT Platinum Edition for PCI-E because it's a more advanced interface? :. cuz i'm gonna play Doom 3 and i need to choose the correct interface. Anyways here are my oncoming system specs

AMD Athlon 63 3500 GHz

1024 DDR RAM Kinston

X850 XT Platinum Edition (don't know if Agp or PCI-e)

Originally posted by E-2k5:

Quote:
sweet so i just need to get X850 XT Platinum Edition for PCI-E because it's a more advanced interface? :. cuz i'm gonna play Doom 3 and i need to choose the correct interface. Anyways here are my oncoming system specs

AMD Athlon 63 3500 GHz

1024 DDR RAM Kinston

X850 XT Platinum Edition (don't know if Agp or PCI-e)

Great now which make/model Athlon 64 board are you getting ?!?

If it's a socket 754 board then it will have an AGP slot and not PCIe. If you get one of the socket 939 boards, it will most likely have the new PCIe slot, however there are still many with only the AGP slot.

You need to make sure which you have because you can't get a board that has both an AGP and a PCIe slot for graphics, yet wink

[939-pin] AMD® Athlon-64 3500+ CPU w/ Hyper Transport Technology

that's the complete CPU info