Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lotus

FireFox 1.0.1 test this a.m. & this is what I think of it, how about you?

I was looking into this same question a while back. I ended up hearing from a devoloper who said that it does not. This was back in the .8 and .9 versions, so something may have changed in version 1.0.

I don't believe Thunderbird does support Hotmail. I am not sure that any POP Mail utility does. There is a shareware program called Hotmail Popper that provides the transition: http://www.boolean.ca/hotpop/ However, unless you use Microsoft's paid subscription for Hotmail, I am not certain that this application works with the free Hotmail accounts.

Last time I tried opera, was probably when they had 2.0 or something. Anyway, I've been using firefox, since it was called Phoenix. Maybe 5 or so years ago.

One nice thing that I like about it, is that you don't need an installer to install this program. So, those of you who are on a network, with limited to no permissions can still install and run.

Also, there are daily updates to the build.

I believe you were asking about Thunderbird accessing hotmail...Well, here is a few links, to peruse.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=53174

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=207024

Yes, I also downloaded daily. Though, not anymore. Now, I just go to http://www.squarefree.com/burningedge/ and read up on what is new, what is fixed, what got broken again. Then I download away. At work I download and install the executable, but at home, I still use the zipped file. The site use to update everyday, but now it is updated sparingly.

Another site to check out for Thunderbird is http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/rumblingedge/. This site updates about once a week.

About the only thing I have modded within firefox is my Gmail notifirer, weatherfox,Download Manager tweak, Image Zoom, Linkification, Tweak network, Allow Right-click, ALT-Text for links, Bugmenot, Chromedit, and Compact Menu.

Okay and the tweaks I have are the usual speed tweaks found in user.js and I think I have another tweak, that changes how large the "search" box is. Basically mine is double the pts across.

Note: there are speed tweaks that are dependant on computer speed and type of bandwidth. Since, I'm at work, I don't have my massive link database. I'll post what I'm talking about later.

Okay, here's some additional information.

The prefs.js file is essentially the same as typing in

Code:
 about:config  <--- note:  There is no space after the about
in the address bar. You will see a ton of configurations. Anything you change in here, will be automatically saved in the prefs.js file.

user.js file is a file that is not created. YOU must create this file. Where do you create this file?

* On Windows XP/2000, the path is usually %AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\, where xxxxxxxx is a random string of 8 characters. Just browse to C:\Documents and Settings\[user Name]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ and the rest should be obvious.

* On Windows 95/98/Me, the path is usually C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\

* On Linux, the path is usually ~/.mozilla/firefox/xxxxxxxx.default/

* On Mac OS X, the path is usually ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/xxxxxxxx.default/

How do you create a user.js file? There are many ways, using notepad, edit, or even copy con. Though, copy con is a pain.

Why create the user.js file? The user.js file is in laymens terms, what goes on behind the scenes.

userChrome.css is the visual appearance of Firefox itself

userContent.css is the visual appearance of websites viewed within Firefox.

userChrome.css, userContent.css, and user.js are not created when you install Firefox. So, if you can't see them, don't panic, just create them.

Oh, forgot to mention....userChrome.css and userContent.css are located within the Chrome subdirectory (folder).

Okay, perhaps we are confusing each other.

Anyway, from your question, I just learned something new. prefs.js is basically the default settings. Anything you put into user.js gets loaded into the prefs.js upon startup of firefox/mozilla.

So, essentially, you can put it in either. Not necessarily both. But, user.js overides prefs.js. So, really if you wanted to not have a user.js file, you could just add whatever commands into the prefs.js.

Does this help? Confused even more?

Direct quote....

user.js is a file that contains preferences that will be loaded into the Mozilla Application Suite every time the suite is started up. Each time Mozilla is started up, the valid preferences from user.js are copied into prefs.js, which Mozilla uses to store all the preferences for the current user.

The user.js file is located in your profile directory, the same directory as prefs.js, but it is not created by Mozilla. So if the file doesn't exist, simply create a new text file with any text editor, such as notepad, emacs, or vi, and save it with the name "user.js". Make sure you save the file in the same directory as prefs.js.

Mozilla will never modify the contents of user.js. However, the contents of prefs.js is frequently modified by Mozilla. If you wish do modify prefs.js directly, you should take care to shut down Mozilla completely before you open the file. Otherwise your edits may be overwritten.

Similar to the user.js file, entering about:config in the URL bar will allow you to edit the preferences for the current Mozilla user profile. Changes made in this manner will directly modify the prefs.js file. (Does not apply to Thunderbird.)

To undo preferences that you set using the user.js file, you cannot simply delete the preferences that you inserted previously into user.js, as these will remain written in prefs.js. You should instead delete the preferences from prefs.js by editing that file with a text editor or via about:config.

Well, here the link that I quoted.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/User.js_file

Perhaps my instructing skills are lacking...ho hum...

Yes, you win that bet. 1980 is when I started. I believe it was the Timex Sinclair that started it all, for me. 1983 was the good ol' IBM CLONE...yes clone not compatible. Leading Edge.

Ah, the good ol' days.