Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tsonta101

Overclocking question (RAM related)

Shed some light here people...

I've got two sticks of PC3200 512MB RAM. My cpu is a P4 2.8 Northwood and runs stable at 245FSB (on a Gigabyte 8IK1100 rev2). The RAM works with a multiplier of 1.66.

245 is the maximum stable overclock with 2 sticks of RAM. With only one stick it goes (stable) to 256, and it POSTs at 266, but hangs before I see the desktop.

I am thinking of getting some PC4000 or PC4400 RAM (which have the headroom for FSB speed up to 280-290) and I am asking is my cpu going to run at more than 245FS or not? If the cpu/mobo will be helped by the faster memory then it is worth it.

If not, I do not want to fork out the cash only to run my memory at 1:1.

Any ideas/experiences much appreciated smile

The main reason most overclocks reach their limit is 1) keeping the CPU from overheating and 2) the amount of heat on both the memory and the "south" bridge. Since it seems that you are running the memory at the standard setting, my guess is that you need to first increase your cooling of the CPU. Consult HardOCP to see what they recommend as the best cooling solution. Since they like to overclock there, they have articles on memory that they find best for overclocking. Keep in mind that not all CPU's are created "equal." There are certain ones that seem more overclockable than others all things being equal. Chips are not made to a certain speed. In any given run there will be a number of speeds that the chip will be rated at. You may have a 2.4 and a 3.2 coming out on the same "conveyor" belt. Each is given its designation by the initial test that gives its "minimal" stability. For some chips this may mean some overhead in overclocking. In others, there will be very little room. Gigabyte does have a piece of software that will allow you to overclock by the way.

It is your computer and you can do with it what you want. Running one that will increase the operating temperature will eventually catch up to you and decrease the life of your components.