Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
felix

follow on from the "$100 pc" story

From the news story on the expected requirement of $100 PCs which APK responded to I thought of this.

The guys who make this http://www.cheapestpc.com.au/ are an offshoot of an Australian company who I have had successful dealings with buying hardware and consumables from. (http://www.gamedude.com.au/)

I'm posting this not as spam, advertising or product placement but merely as a comparison and kick-off point for discussion.

You will note that the install and config are Linux/open source based and the price is $AU349 sans monitor.

How does this rate to cheap stuff available locally to others?

So what's the exchange rate between the Australian dollar and the US dollar ?!?

Also, perhaps with the Euro as well, just to get a feel for the cost in other parts of the world wink

My personal take is you can actually make a PC cheap, however, there is a point of diminishing returns, i.e., limited functionality for instance. Oh and of course always those that seem to think you can play games with said cheap box, but in reality it's not much more then just an email/web browser box, almost like an info kiosk or something like a WebTV device.

Originally posted by Alec§taar:

Quote:
Yea, I responded to that because I built-up an OLD 486 again running Windows NT 3.51 SP #6 (iirc, final one for it) on it & it runs great... it CAN be done, even today, with OLDER parts!

I even posted here a couple times using it in fact!

I suppose those are the short threads then;)

Hehe, just joking APK, I'm in a good mood today:)

Not too worry APK, I was only expressing my good mood:)

I like your long posts, it gives me something to read and its always interesting:)

I know what you mean with explaining in detail, I think we all do, there is people out there that really dont have a clue and need very good directions, its not their fault, it just happens.