Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
markwarren

Measuring Internet Usage

Hi,

Is there a way of measuring how much info I am downloading from the internet during browsing, playing games etc.

I am looking at possibly changing to a capped broadband from my existing uncapped braodband but would like to know if I would be over the 2Gb limit on the new contract.

Ideally I would want to measure my useage over the next month just to see how it goes.

I have a Draytek Vigor 2600 wireless router modem and wonder if this has something bulit in. We use two machines for connecting to the internet and would need the total for the two machines.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark,

I'm not familiar with your router so my gut reaction is "not really possible since that means changing the software inside your router". However I *could* be wrong and there might be something.

However, you can install this on both PCs (freeware, no nags)...

Lan Monitor

http://www.taotoon.com/tongsoft/

The other thing is to visit your ISP's website. Mine (tiscali, UK) lets me log in and I can see how much bandwidth I've used (up and down).

Like you I wanted to know if a capped service would be better. Imagine my face when I saw that I downloaded 14Gb per month! haha oh well unlimited it is for me then :x

S

I use to know of a bandwidth meter that I use to use for my Direcway. But, alas, I can't remember what it is called.

So, try out http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2086

It is called Crystal Internet Meter. 30 day trial. I'm running it right now, seems pretty good. It keeps a log of how much bandwidth you are using, day to day.

I use DUMeter. Not free but works well and monitors all traffic to and from a machine. Obviuosly, if there is more than one machine on the network, you'll need to install it on all or find something else.