Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
chag300

Unable connect to a shared USB external drive

I have a new WD external drive. I have two computers networked together, both using Win XP 2000 Prof. The drive is setup to be shared, but I'm unable to Map or even view the new drive from my networked computer. I can connect to the two internal drives on the same computer with the USB drive with no problem, but not to the USB drive. The USB drive is showing up in My Network Places and shows that it is shared. I have even tried to manually connect by typing in the workgroup name and drive name, for example \\dad\usb drive

This returns an error message that it cannot connect. Any ideas of what the problem could be?

What error message do you get. Try going to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools - Local Security Policy - Expand Local Policies - Expand User Rights Assignment - Double Click on Access the computer from the network - Click on Add User or Group and Everyone here (or the user you want to give access). This should sort out your problem. Let me know

What is the drive letter of the USB drive? Try connecting to the administrative share that Windows should create by default. For instance if the letter of the drive is F:

\\dad\f$

Note: If you aren't running a domain you need to make sure that the username you use to connect to \\dad has administrative privileges on dad or this will not work as Administrative fileshares are only available to users in the Administrators group.