Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
johngkerr

can't open more than on copy of internet explorer

I am a new user of windows XP pro sp2. I just install it on a machine I built so everything is new. The problem is that all user but me can not open two Internet explorer windows at the same time. I am the administrator and one other person has an administrator account. I would think there is box some were I need to check. Can someone help me with this

I am not sure exactly why you want to have multiple instances of IE running. For each one brought up you are taxing the resources of your machine. What you are looking for is tabbed browsing which will allow you to have the ability to have multiple site pages to view within the same browser. At present IE6 will not do this. You can try Avant, Slimbrowser, or Crazy Browser which run on the back of IE. You can also do this using Firefox, Mozilla, and K-Meleon if you want to use the Gecko engine and avoid some of the security problems in IE. Finally, you can use Opera, but the free version does include some advertising nuisances. Clearly, Microsoft sees the oversight they made and IE7 will include tabbed browsing.

I prefer to use Maxthon myself, also uses the IE engine and has tabbed viewing and built-in pop-up blocking smile

It's so much better then to use multiple instances of IE running.

I've also tried out Opera and the latest Firefox too, both have their good and bad points too, however you can't go wrong with either choice IMO laugh

? how come i can open multiple IE and other user can't. also i have another computer and it will let me open multiple IE and it is running windows 89 i have a computer at work it is using me it also will let me use multiple IE also. i think it windows xp problem help