Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Justbill

Problem istalling new kernel

As many of you know I am new to linux. My OS is Fedora Core3. Today I downloaded up2date packages including the updated kernel

2.6.10-1.766 . I am currently running 2.6.9-1.667 . When the download was complete, it told me to reboot as soon as possible to test the new kernel, which I did, and did, and did.....several times to no avail. The 2.6.9-1.667 kernal is the one that is displayed as the machine starts. Is there something I need to do to install or intiate this update?

Thanks

Justbill

When you install the new kernel update, it doesn't replace the original kernel present in your system. When you boot up and get to the GRUB boot screen, you should see two entries there instead of one.

Fedora Core 3 (2.6.10-1.766)

Fedora Core 3 (2.6.9-1.667)

If you do not do anything, the orginal kernel will bot up by default. Just select and boot the 2.6.10 kernel to use it. If you wan to uninstall the original kernel, simply type this in the terminal.

rpm -e (kernel name)

Thats where the problem is, the update agent says its installed, and the grub screen is not showing it.

Justbill

I'm having the same problem, boot screen shows only the old kernel, yet the new image is sat in /boot. I have also tried creating a new entry in the grub boot loader, (press "C" when the grub screen appears), but I don't know enough about grub to tell it where the new kernel image is, and I've forgotten how to even create a new line in the grub menu I'm trying to write. Obviously been using Mandrake for too long!

Really can't type much tonight, had a tooth pulled this afternoon, and I am miserable! Just a thought. Last weekend I re-installed FC3. I had installed SimplyMEPIS, and it would not boot, or for that matter see FC3. I didn't really care for SimplyMEPIS, after having used FC3 for a little while, so I took mepis out, and re-installed FC3. When I did the install, I installed over the FC3 that mepis wouldn't see and I did not format when I did it, in an attempt to not lose information I had In the original installation. The difference is this, I remember having read, I believe here, when installing to choose custom installation and select everything, which I did on the re-install (and am I happy I did, there is so much cool stuff in the entire install), but on the initial install, I used the top choice (typical, I believe) common for desktop. Could there be a conflict of some sort? Or, is it possible that not everything was picked up off the disk (like what happens with ms-win) durring the install?

Trouble Shooting

Justbill

to me, it seems like the post-upgrade/install scripts didn't run.

the grub configuration should have been changed.

do you recall exactly the 'rpm' command and parameters you used?

No,I really didn't pay attention. I just let the install run. I'm not that familiar with linux OS's yet, and had no idea that it would be important to pay attention to that. I suppose if all else fails I can re-install FC3 and format the partition?

Justbill

Hi JustBill,

Glad to hear you installed everything when you installed FC3. In general, when you do a new install you probably should reformat the drive. While it is possible to bypass formatting, at this point I would not recomend it.

I went out yesterday and picked up a really cool new case and motherboard. Not to bore you, but I got an IWill XP case and MB. Added 512 MB Ram, P4 2.4G, DVD Multi-format writer and Pinnacle Video capture card. Added an 80 GB HDD which was perfectly good, just was too small for most of my uses.

I installed FC3 (everything as I suggested to you). Sweet machine. Configured GnomeMeeting and already video phoned a new friend Brazil.

I really built this to investigate USB Wireless connectivity. This is causing me trouble.

I have not upgraded FC3 to newer kernel yet. Will do that after I finish writing this and let you know if I see the same problem.

By the way, FC2 has a problem which I think may be present in FC3. When using GRUB loader, the newer kernel is present in the available list, but does not load unless the user moves back to old kernel then back to new one.

Will post what I find out about FC3 a little later.

What is surprising to me is that the release notes for FC3 that come up when you first open Mozilla, refer to this problem with previous releases and say it has been fixed with FC3. Refers to two lines in etc/sysconfig/kernel file with upgradedefault set to yes to use the latest kenel. It's there OK but doesn't make any difference, so I'm still stuck for a way round this.

can anyone confirm you obtain the same result if you download the kernel

update rpm and then run the 'rpm -Uhv' manually?

For those of you who got the update via up2date, the kernel update rpm

should be on your disk already somewhere in /var (I forget exactly):

'find /var -name kernel\*.rpm'

HA! GOT IT!

It may have been a little extreme solution, but I deleted my partition that FC3 was on (in ms-dos fdisk), then re-created a partition, using "Partition Commander". This effectively destroyed all of the old installations, and then I re-installed FC3, using the custom installation, and selecting everything. When I went and got the kernel update, it installed the new kernel, and there it was when I rebooted in the grub boot menu. A little extreme, but I guess the end justifies the means.

Justbill

P.S. Now the next question will be: did the cd burner start working again, and then there's the .........printer

Interesting, but as you say it works! I reloaded FC3, used the command up2date --get kernel, then install kernel and it worked fine. The next problem I have is that although the FC3 grub bootloader picks up Win 2000 on drive 1, FC3 is on drive 2, it won't recognise MDK10 on drive 3. So I'm still back to trying to configure grub, which although it acknowledges hd2 and the partitions on it, I can't get it too see the MDK image to boot.

I can't help you there. Probably one of these other guys can. I had the same problem when I had SimplyMEPIS on here with win98 on hda1, FC3 on hda2, and SimplyMEPIS on hda4, either Linux OS didn't see the other (I guess they don't play well together), but both saw win98 on hda1.

Justbill