Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
btbp

IRQL-related problem: running msconfig may have really screwed things up!

NOTE: this is a branch from the "help! IRQL_NOT_LESS...." thread (http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread31329-1.html)

While checking the mem and power supply as recommended, I followed Help under "Startup and Shutdown Troubleshooter" to run msconfig to check startup errors.

It recommended to run msconfig - selective startup, clear the Load System Services check box, and restart.

I got errors (below), proceeded to the next step (msconfig for Load Startup Items, then restart); then the next step, (msconfig for Process SYSTEM.INI File), etc. all as recommended in Help.

The result was, the BSoDs stopped and the machine never came back up completely. Windows comes up ok, I can log in, but no Internet.

I (repeatedly) set the msconfig option "Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services", and, in the "Services" and "Startup" tabs, checked all boxes (including HKserv).

The startup errors are:

HKserv.exe

PCF Manager Local Server (PcfMgr.exe)

Cypress USB Mass Storage Driver Background Application

SM1bg.exe

"...has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program"

...and underneath that "Run time error '-2147023838 (80070422)':

Automation error. The Service cannot be started either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it."

So...have I really screwed things up here? How can I get it back to where it was and all services starting? Am I not doing this correctly before restarting?

Another question - why are all of my Restore points gone? I had a few left, and now no way to recover back to that?

Related question - for restoring, it does not allow me to go back to Januarary, etc. restore points that I know I set - how can these be accessed? It would be better than scrapping what's on the damn thing by reinstalling everything...

Re the IRQL problem, that remains to be solved but since it's no longer happening I can't really do anything about that now. Gotta get this solved first.

Hope you folks can help, I just ended up messing things up worse for myself.

Click Start->Run and execute "services.msc".

See if there is any services set to Disabled.