Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ibarba

Constant internet activity.

Hello and sorry if i am not posting this in the right forum.

Ever since i installed a bunch of windows updates, (not service pack 2 yet) i been having constant internet activity, i am currently using dial up and being receiving more than 3k bytes a second for no aparent reason. i ran spyware doctor and removed all of it, but it didnt help my problem.

I think the problem is related to windows update because i get the windows update icon on my tray, nevertheless it says downloading updates: 0% and never changes i cannot pause it or anything.

And removing the windows automatic updates on control panel will also remove the downloading icon, but it wont stop the constant activity and bytes receiving.

I am asking for help, i tried to restore my system but it wont let me. I am getting dsl next week and i would suck to have the same problem.

Thanks in advance,

Israel.

Thanks for the quick response and all the help,

Well yeah i did what you told me to. Closed all programs and ran netstat -ano, resulted in only one established connection to: 64.4.20.93.

Arin WHOIS has this IP registered as Hotmail. I dont know what am i receiving from them, but in an hour and a half connected i have already received 30 megabytes (just browsing a few sites)which looks pretty wierd and never happened before.

Israel

None of the above frown

Checked for viruses and found none either. I think i'll just wait and see if whatever its downloading is done when i wake up tomorrow.

Doesn not seem to be any reasons for this. Thanks a lot for your help, and have fun on doom smile

No frown i am using spyware doctor for antispyware.

so far i've received 60 megabytes. this is nuts!

Israel.

"Best" way to disable Windows automatic updates is goto services.msc and disable the "Automatic updates" service.

Also disable the "BITS" (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) service.

(If you ever need to do update, enable those again.

The "Automatic Updates" must be set to Automatic to windows update to work.)

And for your security, disable "remote registry" service and the infamous "messenger" service (or what ever it is called in english XP.. i have finnish XP smile ), because some spammers/crackers/hackers use it for spamming/cracking/hacking.

Disable remote desktop.

Is the MSN/Windows Messenger running?

Do you have a firewall??

If you do not have, download one asap.

There are many good free firewalls, e.g. zonealarm, kerio.

---

Quote:

Posted by Alec§taar

P.S.=> Thanks on the DOOM stuff, I like old Doom I & II in OpenGL/DirectX gaming it in newer display modern methods for games via JDoom (kickstart.exe launched type), it IS AWESOME DirectX or OpenGL either way! Since I haven't played it in ages, I don't have every level & monster placement memorized anymore & it is like getting a NEW GAME for free... can't beat that! apk

Have you ever tried the Doom Legacy? I liked it, played the Doom series (I-II) through with it. And, of course, played multiplayer with some of my friends. smile

I just started having this problem. What was the outcome of the suggestions? Which one(s) worked?

I don't seem to be getting any files added to my drive. I keep

rechecking my C-drive properties and do not see any change to the

used space/free space stats while this activity is going on.

I am on a dial up. The ISP tech support says they never heard of this problem.

Rich