Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
opus51

no working media players

Just loaded my first linux ( fedora core 3) but can not seem to play any movies or music. any suggestions

Well, the first question is, do you have any sound at all?

Let's start with music. When you pop in a music cd, does the media player come up and seem to play, but there is no sound?

Or, does no media player seem to be present when you pop the music cd in (no media player comes up)?

Giving us a little more information will help isolate the problem.

What do you mean by "can not seem to play any movies or music"? Pls be a little more specific.

maybe list the sound card type, check the volume mixer app for whatever enviroment you use and play around with the settings, make sure the volume is up, pcm, wave, etc.

if your trying to play an mp3 through xmms or another program fedora doesnt come with plugins to play mp3s so youll need to grab something, there are many guides just search for them, video however im unsure of,

possibly to help list

the programs your using

file type

and soundcard

soorry for being vague. http://www.linuxcompatible.org/images/icons/icon_down.png

I do have sound but when putting in a music Or movie cd the media player does not play it.

I do have sound when I play a linux system game.

The cd's are recognised and automatically open up the cd player but drive error is displayed in side the player. I can browse the folders and try other system players but to no avail.

I have a creative sound blaster audigy 2 zs.

hope this helps you to help me.

for kde its kmmix and for gnome its volume mixer scrolling through the audigy two has alot of options, youll see cd turn that all the way up if that dont work, try and fiddle with it

Also look at the balance settings. Someimes they are a bit off. After turning the volume settings up, if this does not work, play with the balance, while a cd is playing. I'm glad we were able to isolate the issue. You should have this cleared up soon.

Gosh maybe I forgot to say that when the cd player loads no tracks are shown in the player only drive error is displayed where the tracks should be.

also cannot for the life of me find kmmix or volume mixer.

I have helix player, cd player, music player, grip,totem movie player (which does not play films), volume control, and audio player. none of them play any music or films.

I did play around with the properties in volume control but no luck.

Also went into preferences - more preferences - multimedia selector

and I can get to select and test all....

video default sink and source ok

sound default sink ok but source just freezes or will not pass the test.

[Edited by opus51 on 2005-02-21 07:31:21]