Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cronus

Dual channel memory

Does one need specifically Dual channel memory modules to take advantage of dual memory support on a motherboard ? i.e., can I use just two identical standard memory chips and get dual channel memory support from my motherboard.

Yes and No.

Basically most/many identical standard modules should work, both need to be DDR400/PC3200 speed and also need to have matching CL(CAS Latency) speed ratings. This means they should both be CL2, CL2.5 or CL3.

You may however find that some modules will not work on some boards either in single or dual-channel modes due to timings of the memory cells themselves. This can sometimes be a hit or miss situation, best bet is to look at the motherboard manufacturers website for Qualified memory modules.

Also note that you tend to have much better luck and performance with name branded, higher quality memory modules, a couple of brands I recommend are:

Kingston HyperX

Corsair TwinX

Mostly due to money I only got 1 512MB chip at the time I was putting the system together, so I just got a standard (I think infineon) chip and I was just wondering if I were to get an identical chip (or close enough) if I would see any dual channel benifits. I guess that's kind of up to the motherboard though eh ? Abit (AV8) is usually pretty good, but I'll give them a check.

Thanks a lot