Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr9phet

This is a good one.

I'm not a noob, but it has been a while since I've done a linux install from a downloaded set.

I downloaded the following:

File: Mandrakelinux-10.1-Official-Download-CD1.i586.iso 708102 KB

File: Mandrakelinux-10.1-Official-Download-CD2.i586.iso 711660 KB

File: Mandrakelinux-10.1-Official-Download-CD3.i586.iso 711938 KB

Like many people, I can't get any of the CD's to boot into an install.

I tried my boot order as floppy > cdrom > hd & cdrom > hd

I tried booting them in different order.

I tried a floppy bootdisk that someone posted on here (wrong one maybe?) that got me into an installation screen, but when prompted to insert an installation CD, it said "Not a valid Installation CD." (for all 3)

I burned the discs with XP's default burning utility, with nothing but the .iso's on the disks.

Any ideas?

Howdy pr9phet

if you actually have files with the suffix "iso" on your discs then you might have burned the CDs improperly. What you need to do is to open the ISO file with a burning proggie and write the content of the ISO-file to the disc.

I'm not aware if the onboard XP-burning program does handle ISO files, but in case it doesn't, you might want to check out DeepBurner which is a quite nifty freeware tool that runs under windows and also processes ISO-files (just select "Burn ISO image" when the app starts).

Also keep in mind that you should burn bootable CD-images slowly (I always burn OS isos with 8x speed)

hope that helps

I just started an iso burning how-to located here. Take a look at that. We get so many of these questions, I thought I should do one. It still is in draft, but, Blackpage is right. See if you burned it as data (you see only one iso file on the cd), or as an image (you see directories and files on the cd).

Also, the onboard cd writer in XP does not handle iso files.