Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Phalanx-Imawano

SATA Hard Disk going PIO Mode

Anybody else experience this? I have a Seagate Barracuda 120GB SATA Hard Disk where I put all my games in for high performance (since SATA technology promises better performance than ULTRA ATA). Thing is, if heavy disk activity happens (like when I play graphic intensive games like Half-Life 2), it goes to PIO Mode (something Win2k and WinXP will do if supposedly more than 6 CRC errors are detected), and performance degrades drastically (so much for SATA being faster huh?); in fact Half-Life 2 crashes when it happens. At least it goes back to UMDA-5 if I reboot. Still, this is really fishy, because in the same PC I also have a Seagate Barracuda 200GB SATA Hard Disk (where I store video files in since they're so huge) that never experiences that problem.

My specs by the way:

Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz Prescott

Inno3D GeForce FX5600 w/ 256MB Video RAM and VIVO

ASUS P4P800-X Motherboard (Intel 865PE chipset, has provision for 2 SATA devices)

1GB PC3200 DDR RAM

Seagate 30GB 5400RPM Hard Disk (boot disk)

Seagate Barracuda 120GB Hard Disk (primary slave)

Seagate Barracuda 200GB SATA Hard Disk

Seagate Barracuda 120GB SATA Hard Disk (the one that's going PIO mode)

Sony DRU-710 DVD Burner with Dual-Layer writing support

Soundblaster Live 5.1 Soundcard

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2

Never mind. I moved the hard disk to another drive bay away from the fans, and the problem vanished (perhaps it didn't like having its cable stretched out, or being situated next to those fans).

can i just say that i used to have a geforce fx5600 256mb and my half life 2, cs source and many other high gfx games used to crash while playing. i now have a xfx geforce 6600gt 128mb card which has resolved those problems. im not sayin this is ur problem, i thought u might want to know that.

Phalanx-Imawano, I found this to be very interesting, after reading your post I took my 3 xtra fans I had lying around and installed it into my box, I've got a Chieftec Midi Mesh case, it has the easy clips for the hard drives in the front side of the box but with the hard drive going in from the side, 90° to the norm. I have a S-ATA 160 Gig and the 3 fans I installed fit on the side panel right next to the hard drive. Now, here comes the interesting part, in the couple of months that I've had this PC I've never had any problems with my PC at all, but within the first 10 minutes of runing the new fans my PC just restarted, twice, then the third time it said I must install a proper boot device (and my hard drive made funny sounds, like a faulty one) and it would not boot up no matter what I did, as soon as I just unplugged the power to the fans my PC was back to normal and has been running 100% for the past 6 hours.

I honestly do not understand why the fans would infuence the hard drive, HUH?

there is a common thing with sata disk cables...

DONT BEND THE CABLE!

if you have to bend the end of the SATA cable you have to buy special cables for it.

otherwise it wont read successfully and use several tried to some binary strings.

which could result in a CRC error when reading and then have to read

again.

not many people know this and thinks there is a problem with their drive which they have put in a bay so far up and in in their full tower that they have to bend their cable like this [ which isnt really good for a standard S-ata cable.

im not sure if thats your problem, but now you know anyways :P

firechimp:

That so? I'll keep that in mind in my next upgrade.

Wicked101:

Yeah that's really fishy. And I wonder why Hard Drive coolers are available in the market (in fact, that SATA hard disk of mine was sitting on top of such Hard Disk cooler while it had those problems).

janfebmar:

Really? Then that must have been the main problem. That SATA hard disk was in fact situated on the topmost drive bay at the time, thus the cable was indeed stretched out (the controller port was at the bottom of the case). So I guess moving that HD to one of the lower bays did it. By the way is there anything wrong with coiling the SATA cable (say about 2.5" diameter) so it won't clutter the inside of the PC case (it's set up that way right now, so far no problems)?

as long as you dont like "break". sata cables are kinda stiff.

i bought some i could bend like "<" that. because i have some vertical HD bays with watercooling. if it works i guess there is no problems at all smile

Originally posted by janfebmar:

Quote:
there is a common thing with sata disk cables...

DONT BEND THE CABLE!

if you have to bend the end of the SATA cable you have to buy special cables for it.

otherwise it wont read successfully and use several tried to some binary strings.

which could result in a CRC error when reading and then have to read

again.

not many people know this and thinks there is a problem with their drive which they have put in a bay so far up and in in their full tower that they have to bend their cable like this [ which isnt really good for a standard S-ata cable.

im not sure if thats your problem, but now you know anyways :P

I have the flexible S-ATA cables, thats not my problem and I never had any problems with it, I just found it strange that my hard drive stopped working as soon as I added the 3 fans, I did not touch the hard drive, the fans has its own housing that you remove, add the fans and replace the housing, no problem there. Its just strange that the hard drive stopped working and when I remove the power to the fans everything goes back to normal.

smile

Ugh, it's happening again. I'm getting a sinking feeling it's the hard disk itself, because it doesn't happen to any of my other hard disks.

What exactly is happenning is that if a major Write operation is applied to the hard disk (i.e. copying a large file or a batch of files totalling say over 500MB to the hard disk from another hard disk) one of these happens:

1. It goes PIO Mode (rebooting restores it to UDMA 5)

2. Windows XP Freezes, requiring a hard reset (the hard drive also goes back to UDMA 5 upon bootup)

I can reduce the chances of those two happening if I do these:

1. Disable Write Caching on the said Hard Drive (which reduces Write performance by 50%)

2. Limit write operations (eg copying) to less than 500MB in one sitting (apparently anything over 500MB for the HD means biting off more than it can chew).

The problem does not happen during Read operations, Defragging, Formatting, or a Scandisk check. Heck even a Zero Fill didn't seem to result in errors.

At least if there's any consolation, thanks to the Prescott's Hyperthreading, PIO Mode doesn't load the CPU as much as it would an older processor (the "Logical CPU" isn't loaded at all, so total CPU load doesn't go over 50%).

[Edited by Phalanx-Imawano on 2005-02-20 04:47:58]

Update:

I found this in the Event Viewer:

Quote:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Disk

Event Category: None

Event ID: 11

Date: 02/20/2005

Time: 19:31:03

User: N/A

Computer: MYCOMPUTER

Description:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\D.

Clicking on the link pointed me to this:

Quote:
Details

Product: Windows Operating System

ID: 11

Source: Disk

Version: 5.2

Symbolic Name: IO_ERR_CONTROLLER_ERROR

Explanation

This problem is typically caused by a failing cable that connects the drive to the computer.

User Action

Replace the cable.

I did as suggested, but the error message in Event Viewer still comes in. I even switched cables with the good SATA Hard Disk and it still reports the error (while that other SATA Hard Disk is reporting no errors). This to me means that the Hard Disk concerned is itself for some reason generating those controller errors (perhaps something in it is busted).

Addendum:

That error appears several times until this one does:

Quote:
Event Type: Error

Event Source: atapi

Event Category: None

Event ID: 5

Date: 02/20/2005

Time: 20:00:08

User: N/A

Computer: MYCOMPUTER

Description:

A parity error was detected on \Device\Ide\IdePort2.

By the time that message appears, the Hard Disk goes into PIO Mode, and the previous error no longer appears.

Do not know if this works for SATA disk, but you can try:

Quote:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817472

WARNING:

If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

Follow these steps, and then quit Registry Editor:

1.Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

2.Locate and then click the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001

3.On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.

4.Type ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess, and then press ENTER.

5.On the Edit menu, click Modify.

6.Type 1, and then click OK.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0002

Note The numbered subkeys that are listed earlier correspond to the primary and secondary IDE channels on a computer that contains a single IDE controller.

If your computer contains two IDE controllers, the numbered subkeys for the primary and secondary IDE channels for each of the two controllers may be:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0002

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0003

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0004

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0005

To verify that you have located the correct subkey, verify that the DriverDesc value for the subkey contains the string value "Primary IDE Channel" or the string value "Secondary IDE Channel."

thats just seems wierd.

how can it be a controller error when he has lots of other S-ata disks?

maybe he got that Hard-Drive on a seperate add-on S-ata extension card. PCI or some sort.

maybe its that seperate controllers fault.

he had alot of sata disks too. might just be that.

but it fixed the problem when he placed it further down. so i still go for the theory that he bended the sata kable right at the end so it got a really shart bend "<" like that. because i know standard kables dont handle that.

but i dont understand wicked101's situation..

that just seems to ulogical.

it might be the drive got to hot. and then read wrong.

Best Regards

E.S

ive also heard that about sata cables, i think i read it in my motherboards guide book, a little wanring box in it says do not bend the sata cables! not standard 1s any way.

Quote:
but it fixed the problem when he placed it further down. so i still go for the theory that he bended the sata kable right at the end so it got a really shart bend "<" like that. because i know standard kables dont handle that.

but i dont understand wicked101's situation..

that just seems to ulogical.

it might be the drive got to hot. and then read wrong.

Best Regards

E.S

It's not the cable at all, because when I swapped the cables between the 2 SATA drives (after moving that hard drive down, which later I found out did not solve the problem at all), the same hard drive still had problems (the other Drive which now had the previous one's cable reported no problems). Later, I tried swapping the drives' controller ports (they're built-in to the motherboard) to see if the controller was the problem. Instead the other controller (where the problematic hard drive is now connected) reported the error. My theory now stands that it's the Hard Drive.

Originally posted by Wilhelmus:

Quote:

Do not know if this works for SATA disk, but you can try:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817472

WARNING:

If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001

Note The numbered subkeys that are listed earlier correspond to the primary and secondary IDE channels on a computer that contains a single IDE controller.

If your computer contains two IDE controllers, the numbered subkeys for the primary and secondary IDE channels for each of the two controllers may be:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0003

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0004

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0005

To verify that you have located the correct subkey, verify that the DriverDesc value for the subkey contains the string value "Primary IDE Channel" or the string value "Secondary IDE Channel."

Tried that already. Instead of the Hard Drive going PIO, Windows XP Freezes.

but didnt you find a workaround already?

so why try to fix something thats not broken anymore?

heh wink

i know the cables cant be bended with too much,

and that was my guess. but if your disk is working properly now, there is no point in trying to fix it, ;P

Quote:
but didnt you find a workaround already?

so why try to fix something thats not broken anymore?

heh wink

i know the cables cant be bended with too much,

and that was my guess. but if your disk is working properly now, there is no point in trying to fix it, ;P

I though it was fixed. I was wrong. It's still acting up.

I believe I've finally found the real problem:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/computer/topic/25430-1.html

It seems that there's an issue with SATA Hard Disks with NCQ support (Native Command Queuing). NCQ is a feature in some new SATA drives to improve performance. The problem is that some SATA Controllers (like those found on Mobo's with Intel Chipsets like the 865PE) do not support NCQ, and if a NCQ capable drive is connected to that kind of controller, problems can arise.

I checked with Seagate's website for my particular hard disk, and sure enough, my 120GB SATA Drive has NCQ support, whereas my 200GB SATA drive doesn't. So when used with my ASUS P4P800-X mobo (which uses the Intel 865PE chipset), the 120GB Drive will go postal and either crash Windows or go PIO mode because of the NCQ issue, while the 200GB Disk has no problems whatsoever.

Guess I'll see if I can exchange the 120GB drive with the non-NCQ version. If the retail store won't do that, then a suggestion from that forum above is to buy a Promise SATA controller card, which supports NCQ.

never heard about anything like that...

blame it on intel i say smile

i always go for AMD, never even heard small romours about such a problem with any SATA disks.

heh.

how come the totally equal drive (you say you got two seagate barracuda 120 GB S-ATA drives), dont have the same problem?

Quote:
never heard about anything like that...

blame it on intel i say smile

i always go for AMD, never even heard small romours about such a problem with any SATA disks.

heh.

how come the totally equal drive (you say you got two seagate barracuda 120 GB S-ATA drives), dont have the same problem?

They're not the same drives. One is a 120GB SATA model ST3120827AS with NCQ support, the other is a 200GB SATA model ST320822AS with no NCQ support. Since the 200GB disk doesn't support NCQ, it works fine with my ASUS P4P800-X mobo (whose SATA controller is non-NCQ). The 120GB disk has NCQ, so it squawks like crazy.

Originally posted by Phalanx-Imawano:

Quote:

My specs by the way:

Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz Prescott

Inno3D GeForce FX5600 w/ 256MB Video RAM and VIVO

ASUS P4P800-X Motherboard (Intel 865PE chipset, has provision for 2 SATA devices)

1GB PC3200 DDR RAM

Seagate 30GB 5400RPM Hard Disk (boot disk)

Seagate Barracuda 120GB Hard Disk (primary slave)

Seagate Barracuda 200GB SATA Hard Disk

Seagate Barracuda 120GB SATA Hard Disk (the one that's going PIO mode)

Sony DRU-710 DVD Burner with Dual-Layer writing support

Soundblaster Live 5.1 Soundcard

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2

yes but what about the other drive?

the primary slave one.