Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
samo21

Resticted Access after OS crash and new harddrive

I was wondering if anyone here could help me. Last week I reset my windows xp home edition computer and it wouldn't start up. It said that the hard drive ruined or something like that. Well, we got a new harddrive and everything is working fine, but I can't access the files from the old one. I have it set on slave and the computer is reading it and everying but when I try to open the file it tells me access is denied. I already search and found a similar topic but the resolution only worked for Professional edition. So, basically, is there a way to remove the restriction or to atleast access my folders from my old harddrive on Win Xp Home Edition?

If you don't find a Windows solution, you can download and burn a Linux live cd to access and write those files to CD. Knoppix is the most well known and will automatically "mount" both your Windows hard drives and create icons for them right there on its desktop for your easy access. Knoppix runs straight from the CD, so there is no danger to your Windows OS.

Set your Bios to boot from cd before hard drive, and fire it up. Knoppix comes with an excellent CD burning program, K3b. Drag and drop those files and burn them. A word of caution: If you choose to try this, don't transfer files from your old hd to the new one via Knoppix. Writing to NTFS partitions from Linux will likely cause major problems. Of course, if your hard drive is physically damaged then there may be no way of retrieving them. Good Luck.

Well, the main reason you can't access those files is due to ownership of those files. A quick easy way to fix this is to run a little unknown app called the Security Configuration Manager. The site: http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/downloads/recommended/scm/default.asp

The file : ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt-public/tools/scm/scesp4i.exe

It may require a reboot.

Once this is done, simply right click on said folder/drive/file and select properties. A new tab should appear. This new tab is either security or permissions (yes it has been awhile). Anyway, once there, you should be able to set permissions on said folder. I'd recommend setting ownership, then set permissions.

I've done this a number of times in the past.

No, I have yet to see if this works in SP2.