Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
adriroma

Hardware compatibility!!

Hi there,

I am new here and new to linux. I am trying to learn how it functions. I need to know or find a list of hardware which is compatible with Linux Fedora Core 2/3. Anyone here know a good website?

Thanks

Fedora, unlike Mandrake, has not really compiled a list of known working hardware.

The hardware requirements can be found here. This is a good starting point to make sure that your system has enough ram and speed to run the "heavy duty" distros.

Also, depending on what you are looking to do with a distro, helps to choose which one that you might want to consider. Gaming, productivity, ease of use, experimenting, or a combination of all of these?

If you are new to Linux, you may want to consider an easier distro to learn. A nice introduction to using Linux can be found by using one of the Live cdrom based distros that run of a cdrom without installing from a hard drive. This way you can test out Linux and see what you like. Most major distros have a live cd version available. Mepis and Knoppix are two fine cd based distros to give such a test drive from.

Any reason why you are looking at Fedora only?

If you let us know what hardware that you have, we can try to point you in the right direction.

Finally, look at this thread to get some opinions.

You shouldn't have much problems with general hardware like CD-ROMS, Processors, Motherboards and Graphics Cards. The more tricky ones are the advanced hardware such as Audigy/Extigy sound cards, PCI Express Graphics Cards and the such. You shoudl be quite safe if you get standard hardware not advanced stuff.

Well the thing is that I have a school assignment!! Fedora Core 3 works quite well on my home PC. Our lecturer requested that we find the hardware compatibility list for Fedora Core 3. I have to turn in a written report but don't know what to do as, how I just found out from this forum and another, there is no such thing for Fedora Core 2/3.

Is there another HCL I can look at that might be similar if not the same to the Fedora Core 2/3??? THanks for your quick replies!

i know this isnt going to be much help but fedora core 2/3 has a 2.6.X kernel so for the two

you can easily expect any older system to work with a processor at least 400 mhz

so any board essentialy with a 400 mhz processor and up, the newer leading edge tech can work more than likely with some tweaks, say pci express or sata, bluetooth wireless, the best way to go about this sense there is no official hardware compatibility list is to find out what hardware the 2.6 kernel supports, you chould be able to find something on that, then that will be a minor part of the hardware list add whatever modules, then that should cover your hardware compatibility list, reall the only the thing it may be incompatible with is newer stuff or ati cards, know this isnt much