Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NyquistLimit

Weird windows explorer folder pane bug

Just out of curiosity has anyone seen the bug in the attached screenshot? All of the folders on my desktop are incorrectly shown as named "Desktop". Also note that My Computer, Recycle Bin etc are also shown as "Desktop". When this happens it also screws up the way the folder pane works because double clicking on a folder to expand the branch stops working.

This has been happening frequently since the installation of SP2 (for over 6 months now but I've been living with it ever since). Not only does this on my machine at work but it also happens at home. It seems to happen after a while of changing directories within the folder pane and double clicking the folders to expand branches.

I've even tried a clean format and reinstall on xp with sp2 but the bug still happens.

windowsbug.gif

Do you have Intel or AMD? Cause I read that SP2 was designed for the 64bit AMD, and it does not work too well on Intel.

I've got Intel and my PC did not even want to start up when I installed SP2, thats why I dont use it, at all.

One thing came to mind, when saw this: shell extensions.

Try these:

Start->Run and execute: "cmd". then execute:

Quote:

regsvr32 /i shdocvw.dll

regsvr32 /i browseui.dll

regsvr32 /i Urlmon.dll

regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll

regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll

regsvr32 /i Mshtml.dll

regsvr32 /i Browseui.dll

regsvr32 /i Shell32.dll

"%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" /rereg

This should reregister some important system files.

Hi guys sorry for the lack of response as I have been very busy. Thanks for the advice, I've re-registered the given dlls and checke d the registry for incorrectly specified paths and all seems to be well. Also env variables such as USERPROFILE also seem to be set correctly.

I can only hope that this has resolved the issue. I'll keep an eye out for the problem occurring again.

Many thanks again,

Jonathan.