Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kindred

New AMD 64 processor and DFI motherboard; can't install XP. HELP!!!

I purchased a new AMD 64 3400+ processor and a DFI Lanparty UT EF3 250 motherboard. I have problems installing Windows XP. I boot nuked the HD so I could start with a clean slate. I repartitioned the HD and installed XP only to have the screen freeze up at the Windows log on screen and then the blue screen of death. I am unable to read the blue screen because it flashes for a split second and then it reboots. I called tech support and they told me it was my ram ( 2x512 Corsair XMS pc2700). Tech support recommended I get pc3200. I overclocked the ram to run at DDR400 and the problem persists. I have read forums stating that the bios on the MB are garbage. I am lost and am in need of advice/answers. I would greatly appreciate help from someone. Thanks.

Here's my setup:

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ (processor has a zalman 7000 Heatsink/Fan)

DFI Lanparty UT EF3 250 (motherboard)

2x512 Corsair XMS PC2700 (memory)

XFX FX 5900XT (video card)

Western Digital IDE 80GB Hard Drive (Hard Drive)

Instead of overclocking, which produces heat and errors, have you tried just using REAL pc3200 memory?

Also, have you tried using only one 512 stick of ram?

Also try the DFI site and update your BIOS. Also worth checking out the other utils on the LanParty CD when you have it all built.

You are right- the BIOS images arent the most wonderful around. I have the Intel 875P LanParty and its fine now its updated.

Also verify each BIOS setting. I'd suggest loading "optimized defaults" and building your PC. Once done then you can go for the overclock. For what its worth my LanParty is running RAM at 500Mhz and the CPU at 3.4Ghz from 2.8, so its fully capable of overclocking-gloryness wink

Ok heres the thing you still have the recipt take it back you should of known to purchase the asus motherboard k8v se deluxe with that cpu its outstanding you learn to buy crapy 64 bit boards