Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
petehinch

New to linux help help please

hi

could any of you please help

I am new to linux I have installed SUSE 9.2 16 bit

A have to problems so far

1. I can't get emacs to work (command not found)

I'v looked and too the best of my little knowledge its installed

2. Am doing java at college and need the sdk package but the link on the sun site seams to be broken

Thanks pete

Check in Yast2 - install hardware and make sure it's installed. If so, it should come right up when you type from the command line:

emacs

And press enter. If it IS installed and not coming up, then there should be an error message you could post.

Sounds like emacs is not in your default path.

First verify that it is installed, as root enter

find / -name emacs

you should get something like:

/usr/sbin/emacs

not necessarily exactly that. If you don't get anything back, then emacs is not installed (doubtful).

Next try to start it with

/usr/sbin/emacs

See if emacs starts. If so, good, one down. Let us know how that worked. Depending upon the result, there are a few things you can do so that emacs can be started without typing the path to the executable. When you reply, please attach the result of the following command:

echo $PATH

If you wan to porgram java apps for free (free as in free speech not free beer) OSes liek GNU/Linux then you should know that using the Java SDK will not be advisable cos you might end up unwittingly using certain non-free aspects of Java and end up causing your program to not run well on free OSes. You should use GCC.