Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CB..

windows management on ME

how do i prevent windows management from running during normal use time..\ (ie when playing a game or some such activity)

as it allways slows the cmputer down to a snails pace (games especailly suffer)..i can't find any reference to it in the scheduled programme section or anywhere else for that matter..i would like to be able to limit it's running time to inactive periods only?

any one have any thoughts?

Have not used ME for ages, but if I remember correctly, you can adjust and even disable the interval when WMI does its backup process, which may cause slowdown.

The application is installed to %windir%\SYSTEM\WBEM

Browse there and start WINMGMT.exe and see if you find somekinda option to disable the backuping.

--

Also, you can 'kill' the winmgmt with this command:

%windir%\SYSTEM\WBEM\WINMGMT /kill

Quote:

Terminates all Winmgmt.exe processes on the local system, including WMI processes started as a service by the Service Control manager or invoked by using the /exe switch. This switch is available on Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, and Windows XP. To use this switch with Windows NT or Windows XP, you must have administrative rights.

And you can unregister the server:

%windir%\SYSTEM\WBEM\WINMGMT /unregserver

Quote:

Removes registry entries added through the self-registration process and should rarely be used. This switch is available on Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, and Windows XP.

Platform SDK: Windows Management Instrumentation

Permanent WBEM removal:

Disable this Registry entry by using MSCONFIG.EXE:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

"WinMgmt"="%windir%\SYSTEM\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe"

many thanks for the info... having difficulty finding a way to implement the methods tho...no available options on winmgt.exe

and i can't see winmgt or a route thru to the registry from msconfig could you elaborate just a little..and what does winmgt actually do..sounds like something connected to system restore (which i have allready disabled)

EDIT;;;

i have had a dig around and based on what you have described here and one or two other thoughts i've read...i ran WBEMCNT.EXE

and reduced the back up time from every 30 minutes to every 5 hours (being too cautiuos to disable the back completely)

does this sound ok?

Hmm...

Yesterday, when i googled, found this page about how to uninstall WMI/WBEM. WINME WBEM (WINMGMT) BUG + FIX. Scroll down to "Permanent WBEM removal".

BUT, if you uninstall it, you can not use System Information tool (msinfo32). Same page have also info how to reinstall it.

<edit>

Sorry, did not see your edit part...

5 hours sounds fine, now you know when to have a break, when the slowdown starts...

smile

</edit>

Quote:

P.S.=> Wilhelmus, thanks for those commandlines & such about winmgmt etc. above... made my texts on disk here today in fact, live-n-learn, not a wasted day imo! apk

No problem smile