Photo

Just installed Xandros Desktop 3.0 Deluxe. Where can I download better GF2 Go dr

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pr-man

pr-man

old hand

• Members
  • 1030 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 06:27 AM

I found some at nvidias site but it says something about im running an X-server and need to close it before I can install. Im very new to Linux so I need some help and instruction

#2 Dapper Dan

Dapper Dan

Pooh-Bah

• Moderators
  • 1703 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 08:19 AM

Hi again pr-man,

I believe Xandros is Debian based is it not? Then it's a cinch. You can download the correct drivers using apt-get. Does Xandros have the synaptic front end for apt-get? If so, just do a search for "nvidia" and the correct kernel should come up for you to install.

#3 pr-man

pr-man

old hand

• Members
  • 1030 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 08:22 AM

dan i dont know if it has app get or not, how can i tell?

#4 Dapper Dan

Dapper Dan

Pooh-Bah

• Moderators
  • 1703 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 08:44 AM

First, look in your menu and see if you have "synaptic," which is a front end for apt-get. If it's not there, it's simple to install. Oen a terminal and become root:

su [enter]

It will ask for password. Type it in and press enter. Then:

apt-get update [enter]

Let it do it's thing, then do the above step a second time. Then do:

apt-get install synaptic [enter]

After synaptic installs, just type:

synaptic [enter]

And it should come right up. The "GUI" is very intuitive and easy to follow. Do a search on nvidia and the correct nvidia kernel should come up.

#5 pr-man

pr-man

old hand

• Members
  • 1030 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 08:52 AM

Dan from what I just read Xandros does have apt-get they cal it Xandros Network which is apt-get with a pretty shell but I think it only has access to apps and updates on their servers

#6 Dapper Dan

Dapper Dan

Pooh-Bah

• Moderators
  • 1703 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 05:54 PM

Do they have nvidia kernels in their repositories? I think danleff is familiar with Xandros, maybe he'll know about how to install the nvidia drivers...

#7 iamroot

iamroot

addict

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 04:47 AM

If you wanna install the NVIDIA drivers manually then you have to close X by editing

/etc/inittab

change (init:5) to (init:3)

then restart your pc. You will notice that your system will not go into the GUI but remain at the terminal. X is now closed. Then go ahead and run the installer. Check ou the documentation at www.nvidia.com for more details.

#8 pr-man

pr-man

old hand

• Members
  • 1030 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 08:14 AM

iam root I looked at the file using pico but I dont see where to edit that part

only init part i see is at the very beginning and it says init:(8) configuration

do u have aim or msn or icq so we can chat on this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq