Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
emccornack

NEWBIE! How to create a destination folder??

I feel this is embarassing but im really tired of Windows BS! I installed Mandrake 10.0 No problems. Now i want to upgrade mozilla to firefox 1.0 Downloaded and couldnt install it. Saw a post earlier about creating destination folder and entering this command. user@box: mkdir -p /usr/local/internet/firefox Im supposed to go into a console and create a destination folder. Tried alot of things including a desktop folder....lol.

Also...

If im ever sucessful at this how would i get rid of mozilla icoon in tray and replace it with firefox icon?

I truly would appreciate any help anyone could offer me. Its a rough learning curve and im 68 yrs old.

Thank you all,

Ernie

Please don't feel embarassed bout posting problems with GNU/Linux here. We do it all the time. I've been using GNu/Linux for years now and im still getting problems every few days.

The Firefox installer is a tar.gz package which you will have to unpack. You can do so by right-clicking on the package and selecting unpack from the drop-down menu. Once thats done then you enter the terminal, use root access and navigate to the unpacked firefox directory by doing this

su

(enter password)

cd (firefox directory. example.. /home/emccornack/Desktop/firefox)

./install.sh

Then follow the instructions. I might be wrong cos im using Fedora Core 3 now which includes Firefox by default so i havent installed Firefox manually for some time already. I might be wrong so pls post the results here:-)

Are you using KDE or GNOME as your default GUI? To change the icon i believe you can just right-click the icon, select Properties then Custom icon.

Thanks Root.

Well that didnt do it.No problem getting to root etc. But when i type what you said always comes up as no such command, or no such diretory. I tried differnt combinations of things with that string, but nothing worked. Seems its still not creating a directory or anything. Any other ideas? From anyone? This has got to be really simple....but it sure is fustrating...

Thanks again

Ernie

I think the confusion is first about making the directory, then installing Firefox from within the directory. If Mozilla is already on the system, the recommendation is to install Firefox in another directory independent from Mozilla, as there are apparently some issues with Firefox and Mandrake. Maybe iamroot will clarify his instructions, or I will post again when I have some more time later.

I found directions on the Firefox web site to install. See if this matches your package and where you extracted Firefox to.

First post where you currently have the Firefox package on your system. The package should be called firefox-1.0.installer.tar.gz.

If you were able to run the command mkdir -p /usr/local/internet/firefox, then use your file manager to navigate to that directory and see if it is there.

Have you extracted the package yet? If so where? The directory, after extracting it should be called firefox-installer and should be in the same directory as the gz package.

These are instructions, for reference for us to use later. ignore them for now;

Quote:
tar -xzvf firefox-1.0.installer.tar.gz

cd firefox-installer

./firefox-installer

The location of the directory isn't really important izzit? And i'm sorry ernie, you should do

./firefox-installer

not ./install.sh

Sorry.

Thank you for your help. I got it installed and going. Not real sure how i did it, but its cobbled together and does work!! Next question i have is how do i make Firefox my default browser? Or can I.....Like you said maybe there are "issues" with this...smile. Thanks again, and hopeing to hear more from you.

Ernie

What do you mean by "default browser"? You can change the browser that appears when you click the Browser button on the toolbar at the bottom of the destop by rightclicking on it then delete it. Next, create a shortcut on your Desktop to Firefox. Then drag the shortcut to the empty space where the old browser button was.