Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
babbs

Recommended email program?

Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of taking my Win ME box off-line and replacing it with FC2. Presently, I dial-up with my ME box, but knowing how bad that is, I've added another drive to the system and put FC2 on it. (If you've read my other posting about the grub problem, it still exists.) I anticipate no problems with the modem (it worked with Knoppix).

Here's the question: "What email client is the best to use?" I know that its a bad question, but I couldn't make it any nicer. wink I want to make sure that once I download all my email to this client, I will still be able to keep it when I load a future version of Linux (possibly FC3).

Let the "mine is better" wars start. laugh

Thanks in advance!

Babbs

hehe... and to think that I use k-mail, because I know how to import all my Outlook Express mail!

Thunderbird or Evolution. I don't really have much experience with email programs cos my email is HTTP-based, but i think that these two r the best.

Well i guess theres "technical" best, and then theres best for me ;-)

Technical best, ie. lastest all singing all dancing is probably Thunderbird.

Best for me (personal choice) is the mail client in Mozilla (no not mozilla firefox) for me it is just so easy to set up and run. Window 1 is the mozilla web browser, window 2 is the email.

Anyway they are all available as freebies on the website at www.mozilla.org so try them all and make up your own mind.

regards, Pete

Originally posted by danleff:

Quote:
hehe... and to think that I use k-mail, because I know how to import all my Outlook Express mail!

danleff, I'm presently using Kmail because I've had problems building Evolution under Slackware. I like it a lot, especially with the addition of "Kontact," but I sure wish I had my Evolution back...

I like Evolution quite well and have experienced no problems with it. I was used to Outlook for email and find it similar to use. Also, I can synch with my Sony PDA.

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry that I've been AFK for so long.

Last night, I reinstalled FC2 to try to fix my grub problems. Once I was able to get FC2, I began trying to compile modem drivers for the winmodem I have. I think that its just a matter of time before I find the right mix of winks and nods to get it working.

I have downloaded a copy of Thunderbird as recommended above, but I have not installed it yet. As to the other programs mentioned, I would like to download Evolution and give it a spin. Anyone have a link readily available?

Is kmail the only one that imports Outlook mail directly? That feature is one that interests me. Does Thunderbird have this capability too? (I have Outlook 2000, not Outlook Express.)

Thanks again!!!

Babbs

babbs,

From the look of the FC 2 package list you already have Evolution 1.4. A new version 2.0.4 is available here although it looks like to download a precompiled version you would need a install tool from Novell.

There is probably a way to get 2.0.4 from up2date, or apt, but I'm not sure, one of the FC users probably knows.

Also, if you are coming over from Outlook, then evolution will probably be the most similar in use to Outlook, in my experience.

I think that I like Thunderbird. So far, I've been pretty comfortable with the program and it has been working pretty nicely. (So much nicer than when I had Pine back in the 90's.)

Considering that, should I bother with Evolution? I know that preference is a personal thing, but has anyone found that they like Evolution more than Thunderbird?

Babbs

I've now switched from Evolution to Thunderbird and really must say that I like Thunderbird better. The only complaint I have is that I cannot synch addresses between Thunderbird and my PDA...I have to use a separate program, but still with stay with Thunderbird. Either one is good, but I do like the way Thunderbird works much better.

Hello everyone,

Since my last posting, I've upgraded from FC2 to FC3. I had Thunderbird 1.0 under FC2, the FC3 upgrade upgraded Thunderbird to 1.0.1, and YUM updated Thuderbird to 1.0.2.

The FC2 to FC3 upgrade installed Thunderbird into a different location than where I had 1.0 installed. That caused me to loose the ability to run Thunderbird until I figured out the new location for the executible. I have been very pleased with Thunderbird so far.

One additional point, while running YUM in the Terminal as root, I kept getting alerts that I had new mail, but I hadn't configured any mail as root.

I tried to launch Thunderbird as root to load the mail in the local folders, but I couldn't figure out how to get it to work when pulling the mail from a local directory. I ended up using Evolution to pull the local mail. Go figure, I didn't know that there were cron jobs emailing log summaries from root to root on the local system.

While I found Evolution ok, but for my Internet email, I do believe that I prefer Thunderbird.

-Babbs

OK, OK, I will give Thunderbird a try. Let's see if I can import my mail from Outlook Express. Even if I can import my mail from kmail would be fine. Anybody tried this? Importing from Kmail or Outlook Express?

This should be no problem. You need to do the Outlook import with Thunderbird under Windows and then copy your Thunderbird directory to the Linux box.