Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
m_phoenix83

Upgrading from Win 98 to Win Millenium

Hey all, again! Got another little dillema!

I'm wanting to upgrade a PC from WIN98 to WIN ME.

The method is use is this:

1) I boot up from my CD-ROM (48x), and the setup procedure starts.

2) I choose the 3rd option on the list; Install Win ME, backup your old OS, NO FORMAT.

3) It places all my existing files on my C:\ to a 'backup' folder, and then proceeds to copy all the new WIN ME OS 'files and folders' to my C:\

This is where the problem occurs..

Once it get's to roughly 34%, a message appears in the top left hand corner saying:

CD101 ERROR: Can't read D:\ drive.

Abort, Retry, Fail?_

But i know it can read the D:\ or else I would not have been able to go to the setup process in the first place!

Also, it just so happens, that shortly after this problem on my machine, a friend brought round his hard drive (20G), and asked me to upgrade his old PC to WIN ME from WIN 98 with my CD, not his!

I put his hard drive in my machine, in exchange for mine, used the same CD, (I expected a problem to occur to be honest), but there were no problems what so ever, (the D:\ obviously works!) and now he is on WIN ME, with no problems what so ever!!! HOWCOME???

Is this a problem with my Hard Drive, CD, CDROM Drive, EIDE Connectors or something else?

Really annoying me this one!

Response of any kind would be appriciated!

Thanks all.

Phoenix. smilesmile

Quote:

To troubleshoot disc read errors, use the following methods in the order in which they are presented.

Clean the Disc
Clean the CD-ROM. To do this, use a disc cleaning kit, or gently wipe the silver side of the disc with a soft, lint-free cotton cloth. Do not use paper cloth which can scratch the plastic and leave streaks. When you clean the disc, wipe from the center of the disc outward. Do not use a circular motion.

If the issue continues to occur, clean the disc with a damp cloth or a commercial CD cleaning solution. Dry the disc thoroughly before you insert it into the drive. If the issue continues to occur, proceed to the next method.

Test the Disk in another Drive
Try the CD-ROM or DVD disk in another drive. If the disc works in this test, then the problem may be with the original drive not properly reading the disc. Please seek help from your computer or disc drive manufacturer. If your computer has multiple CD-ROM, CD-R, CD/RW, test the disc in the other drive.

If after cleaning the disc, it does not work on another computer then it is likely bad and needs replacing. If you see the same issues with a replacement disc as with the original disc, proceed to the next method.

Clean the Drive
If cleaning the CD-ROM does not resolve the issue, clean the disc drive using a CD-ROM drive cleaning disc if you have one. If you do not have one, obtain one after all other steps in this article have failed to resolve the issue. Drive cleaning discs are available in most computer or home electronics stores.

Another thing to look at is the state of the hard drive in your machine. It sounds like the install is timing out and then loses communication with your CD. Microsoft is peculiar on installs since it likes lots of contiguous memory.

So, if your hard drive is still operational with Win98, you will want to delete all the *.tmp files you can. Delete all the *.bak files. Then, run chkdsk to get rid of any bad fat pointers. Then, you will want to defrag the hard drive.

After this right click on My Computer, choose properties and look at your system devices to make sure there are no exclamation points or question marks. If there are, you can try removing them (if they involve none of your real peripherals) or you can reboot into safe mode, allow Windows to try to "reconfigure" their access.

Sometimes, with these "upgrades" you are asked to have the machine boot from the CD. You need to change the booting order in BIOS.

finally, don't upgrade to WinME.

It is clearly noted here and many other trusted online sources that it is the worst MS OS since the punch-card.

Go XP.