Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ioriamd

Partitions in Mandrake 10.1

i dont know if my question is dumb..

but i want a suggesion

how many partitions and how big space should we make in mandrake 10.1?

i got 17gb space for mandrake

i have download mandrake 10.1 from this homepage... 3 iso. but when want to install, it show i should have 4 iso..

is that the 300mb's one?

You know, partitions are up to you, but of course there are general recommendations how you should partition your HD. Some of the general rules that I would follow for partitioning my HD for Mandrake are:

-Create a boot partition at least 100Mb

-Create a Swap partition three times greater than your RAM, so if you have a 256 RAM multiply it by 3.

-Creat a Root( / ) partition and I would say about 60 to 70% of your HD.

-Create a Home partition (/home) with 25% to 30% of your HD or just use whatever space is left.

You can go on creating additional partions if you prefer such as for /var, /www, etc...but usually I never did.

There are many tutorials online that will give some general guidelines for this as well:

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/3174/1/

Right now I'm using ProMepis and the only partitions I need are swap, and root, but it is always suggested to make some partitions for security porpuses.

The download version has 3 iso's to get. Let's also make sure that you got the right ones. What is the exact name of the first iso image that you downloaded?

Is it Mandrakelinux-10.1-Community-cd1.i586.iso?

thanx LinuxCrusader & danleff

its really help

i ll try it after this

emmm

this is what i have download.

>> Mandrakelinux-10.1-Official-Download-CD1.i586.iso

>> Mandrakelinux-10.1-Official-Download-CD2.i586.iso

>> Mandrakelinux-10.1-Official-Download-CD3.i586.iso

>> Mandrakelinux-10.1-Official-Mini.i586.iso <--- anyway what is this file for? i download it coz it a iso file :P

Quote:
Mandrakelinux-10.1-Official-Mini.i586.iso <--- anyway what is this file for? i download it coz it a iso file

You don't need the mini iso disk, the others are the correct disks, only three. The mini disk is good as a rescue disk, or to install the distro from a hard drive.

Make sure that you burn them at a slow speed, say 4X or 9X, as iso files like to be burned at a slow speed.

Also, make sure that you burn as an image, don't just burn the iso's as a data disk. For example, if you are using Nero to burn the images, choose from the dropdown menu file-->burn image, for each iso file.

Hi all,

regarding partitions.

If you use auto allocate after selecting the 17gig portion of your drive, you will be ok.

I currently use 18gig for Mandrake 10.1official

5.8gig /root

1gig swap

the rest for /home

Dual booting Mandrake & XP pro for games

emmm...

ic...

thanx for the help...

i already compllete installing mandrake..

now tryin this make me feel free from windows...

hehe..

and already sussecful configure my internet connection (read instructions from forum)

thanx guys ..

all of u really helpin..