Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sasfmj

mounting windows drives

hi

I belive hav have just mounted my unused 30gig partion i use in windows and i beleve have mounted it as hda5

mount /dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5

it dosent say anything after just goes to another command line.

when i look at the properties on the /mnt/hda5 folder it says its about 30gig so i figure ive done it right

but what i would like to know is how do i copy files etc to this folder because when i copy and paste to the folder it just coms up with an error saying:-

Access denied

Could not write to /mnt/hda5/(filename)

can anyone help???

thanks

Matthew

You Need to Set The File Permissions...

Go into the /mnt/ Folder, right click on hda5 and then there should be somthing about permissions there.

Thats in FC3... but if you're using Gentoo or mandrake or smothing... try googleing it.

Cheers,

Jim

The easy way out in Fedora...go to the start menu-->System tools-->file Manager-Superuser mode.

This will give you direct rights to mount and transfer any files from any partition, as long as it is mounted.

Remember, you mounted the drive a root, so it needs root privileges to access the drive.

You can assing your hard drive to be mountable by different groups in the fstab...for example:

/dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5 ext3 defaults,users 0 0

That line if added to your fstab will mount the /dev/hda5 drive automatically on boot up. It is configured for an ext3 system. It allows all "users" which is a group, to access the drive freely.

(I am at school at the moment so not sure if that is perfect syntax, but should get yuo going!)

Daum