Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AMD643200

Browsers do not connect to sites, Why?

Ok weird problem please help with any suggestions.

I have Windows XP Home SP2 (SP2 makes no difference) I built a new system...

ADM64 3200+

1 Gig Ram DDR400

ASUS K8N-E Deluxe MB

3-40 Gig HHDs, all Maxtor

C: Drive has 17 Gb free

Norton Internet Security 2004 installed

Norton AntiVirus 2005

Specifically the following sites do not load...

www.bellsouth.com

www.sprint.com

www.directtv.com

I bought a license from Microsoft and installed the same CD on a second computer. There I can loggon and pay my bills. Not so on PC#1. IE says the "Page cannot be Displayed". Both computers are on a LAN behind the same Linksys Router. I even tried swapping the plugs in the router... Netscape, Firefox, and Opera also do not connect and give their own error messages. Firefox had an interresting error message though "The connection was refused when attempting to contact www.bellsouth.com". Oh yea, I can browse the internet fine anyplace else.

Software tries:

Disabled Both Windows Firewall and all of Norton Internet Security and Anti Virus. No go. Tried lowering all security zones in IE6 to the lowest posible setting for each category. No go still. Of courst I have cleard all Cache Folders and cleard History, Temp files, even cookies... No go still. I've updated all drivers and downloaded all security patches.

And just in case you think that this is the culpret, I got really frustrated thinking this is caused by an obscure setting, which it probagbly is... I formatted the whole computer did a fresh install of Win XP Home and before I loaded anything but network drivers I tried to connect to www.bellsouth.com, and still no go. ;(

So what is a man to do that has built a killer fast system? AH!! Microsoft has a pre-release version of the "Windows XP64bit Professional" you can install and try out on just about any 64 bit capable Systems. I installed it. Works great, though I had to download network drivers first. I can browse the internet with both the 32 and 64 bit versions of IE. But the same thing happened when I went to the Bellsouth site for both browsers.

Hardware:

I have tried many different hardware testing programs to see if some part of the CPU or RAM is not working properly. All tests come back saying I PASS.

Please help. If you have questions please ask. I am about to install Linux on PC#1 to see if Linux can, on a fresh install, access the Bellsouth site. I might even try it out quickly if you ask me to. smile Thanks

Hey im new to this kinda thing but this may be a problem with your linksys router as these site run of an FTP on a Dedicated server the ports that it is using maybe blocked.

to solve this problem you can goto the linksys manual or website and look up "forwarding ports"or "port forwarding" then forward all of your tchp and other ports to solve this problem If this doesnt help email me smile

Alec§taar, Thanks for all the help but the problem persists.

With the command prompt and a direct ping of the web sites using the numerical IP address you gave me; all sites say "Request timed out". Then I tried in IE and Firefox by typing the numerical address as you state http://139.76.134.15 .(Yes I use different browsers but just referred to IE because so many more people us it) After waiting a minute none connect with the response "Page Cannot Be Displayed" or Firefox's "The connection was refused when attempting to connect to 139.76.134.15." "Refused" is the word Firefox uses that make me wonder.

The Hosts file is located at

%WinDir%\system32\drivers\etc

and the only entry is the

127.0.0.1 localhost

you mentioned.

The Registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

DataBasePath Points to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC

is exactly as you said it should be.

To be honest concerning POLICIES, I do not know much about them and was not able to adequately check this. As Win XP Home goes, I had the standard installation, if this installs a policy I am unaware of how to check this properly.

Under the Restricted Sites in IE, (and the other Security settings) I have no sites listed to restrice or allow. I did however try to set the trusted sites and "allow" http://www.bellsouth.com, but this did not help either.

Lavasoft Ad-Aware is installed and is commoonly run on my PC. I just updated and ran it again to see what it would say, I had only a few cookies to be removed.

As far as the hardware side concerning the router, I have 3 and sometimes 4 PCs hooked up to it. All computers but this one (PC#1) can connect and work the sites I listed above. I don't believe port forwarding is an issue here.

Any other ideas? Your responses were all appreciated, Thanks!