Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sasfmj

divx for linux

hi

i have just downloads divx for linux and am wanting to know how to install the files.

there is a install.sh file is this the file i run and if so how??

cheers

Matthew

I think with this installable scripts .sh in the past I have used the following statement and has sometimes worked:

bash install.sh, but I'm sure there's another better wayto do it, which hopefully someone will post it here. Or maybe try ./install, usually these programs come with a "configure" script to be run. If it is, navigate to where you have program and do ./configure, then 'make', and last 'make install'. Usually these are the general commands for installing programs. Hope this helps and doesn't confuse you at all.

Oh yeah, you probably have to execute it as root.

I correct myself. You should be able to run the install.sh by either exceuting the following command:

sh install.sh or ./install.sh

I'm having the same problem....I downloaded the files, used gunzip to uncompress and then tar -xvf to unarchive...there is a install.sh file, but when I run it, nothing happens...

any suggestions?

Kevin

Hi

I have the same problem I don't know how to install these .sh files. I finally found the answers above but when I type the commands to run the install.sh file I get access is denied when it trys to write to the installation folder "file:/usr/local/src"

How do i get access to these folders I have tried many other folders and keep getting the same errors I can't seem to install anything anywhere.

I am using SUSE Linux 9.2 and I am a newbie with Linux.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

The problem there is that you need Root access. At the console type su and enter you root password, then run the scipt with ./install.sh

I got this far, but still nothing for me... but I am a TOTAL newbie (just know a little bash from playing with my Tivo).

Any Guru help appreciated.

'I'm having the same problem....I downloaded the files, used gunzip 'to uncompress and then tar -xvf to unarchive...there is a 'install.sh file, but when I run it, nothing happens...

'

'any suggestions?

'

'Kevin

If there was no output and it just displayed another command prompt then the install script worked. Under unix enviroments no output is a good thing, unlike in windows. From what I can tell it looks to be as if these are just the encode and decode librarys. I'm trying to see if XINE will respond to them, or possibly another player. I'll let you guys know.

Tormin

"When caught between a halfling and an ill-tempered dragon remeber you don't need to out run the dragon."

AFAIK there is dispute which is better, XviD or libavcodec (FFmpeg). Why should someone mess with that inferior DivX? Or maybe things have changed recently and DivX is on top now?