Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dunbine

help with SUSE 9.1

i just install SUSE 9.1, im new on this, im having problems booting win xp, basically i cant!!!... i have no idea how to use SUSE 9.1 or any of the programs, i cant set up my internet account(dial up) can any one help???...

i thought it was gonna be easy to use!!...

Can you give a little more information on your system?

What make/model of computer do you have?

Or if this is a self built system, what hardware is in the system? Sound card...hard drive (ide or sata) and modem make and model number.

How did you do the install of Suse? Did you tell it to take over the entire hard drive, or use free space from the XP partition during the install, or, partition space at the end of the hard drive for Suse ahead of time?

When you boot the system, do you get a choice to boot XP, or just Suse?

And most importantly, do you have the XP install cd disk that came with the system?

its a pentium III(Coppermine), the modem i dont know how to get the number, 512 of ram.

I just dont know what program to use to do the setup, i sort of did the setup of the net, but everytime i try to connect nothing happend not even the dial sound.

If the modem does not work, and you set it up, or attempted to do so) during the install, then chances are that it is a so-called "winmodem" designed to work in Windows only. A lot of systems now come with these, since they are inexpensive modems.

If this is a Dell or Gateway system (or otherwise), knowing the model number would help identify this.

Also, if you could boot into Windows, you could get this information easily.

So, do you get a boot option to get into Windows?

is there any way to get the model number on SUSE 9.1?

its a build system, is not a dell or something like that.

i try to boot win xp form the cd, but it give me an error on a blue screen, saying that i have to reset the system again,

and yes i do get the boot option on SUSE but everytime i choose the windows option brings up an error saying:

root (hd0,0)

filesystem type unkonwn, partition 0x?

chainloader +1

Error 13: invalid or unsopported executable format

press any key to continue....bold text

so basically i cant cuz i dont know what does it mean!!..SUSE work fine is very fast, i really like how it looks, but i dont know how to use it, comes with so many programs that i'm not familiar with, i am so use to WinXp and Mac OS X.

I dont even know how to install another program cuz it doesnt work, generaly you run the exe file on Win,(or autorun) and on Mac you drag the application file to Applications Folder, but on SUSE it doestn work that way, when i try to run the exe file it does recognize it, and bring the windows to associate the file with one of the SUSE applications, Dude seriously i dont know what to do!!. When i install SUSE i left the computer by itself doing the instalation, i set the name password and thing like that, even the internet (IP, server name, Internet porvider, the number etc) but thats all, i came back and SUSE was runing, i cant even see my files, they dont show up on MY COMPUTER, only the music files.

Any way thanks for your help and im sorry for bieng so short with my messages (i was at work).

Cheers budy

dunbine

There is a bug in the kernal of some issues of 9.1 I had the very same problem! Go to your bios and change the hard drive settings from "auto" to allow LBA ???? cant remember exactly

Aternatively get the download of 9.2 which is free on the suse website.