Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
patonr

Getting KDE and Installing On Mandrake 10.1

i am new to linux

im running mandrake 10.1 and couldent install KDE due to a missing Disk im now trying to find a copy of Kde and not sucseeding also i have no idear how to install it when i find it.

You might want to find RPMs off the net and install them manually. I presume that you have a GUI installed already. You can go to rpmfind.net or rpm search to find these packages and install them manually.

arts-1.3.2

kdeaccessibility-3.3.2

kdeaddons-3.3.2

kdeadmin-3.3.2

kdeartwork-3.3.2

kdebase-3.3.2

kdebindings-3.3.2

kde-i18n-3.3.2

kdelibs-3.3.2

kdemultimedia-3.3.2

kdenetwork-3.3.2

kdepim-3.3.2

kdesdk-3.3.2

kdetoys-3.3.2

kdeutils-3.3.2

kdevelop-3.1.2

kdewebdev-3.3.2

patonr, give us a little more information on what you have. KDE is on disk 1 of the Mandrake install disk. During the install, did you have three disks of Mandrake?

Do you have a graphical environment now, or command line?

It would be best to use the install disks and install KDE from them, since this will automatically install the KDE packages and dependencies in the correct order.

I have same problem

1)I downloaded 3 free cd of mandrake

2)It sounds none of thoes CDs installed KDE

3)after rebooting my laptop, I see options: (linux-windows-failsafe..)

4)all above option (except windows) give me command line and no graphical view will load

5)please help me

6)thanks

By default, KDE is installed in Mandrake, unless you told the installer not to include it during the installation (if you elected to customize the packages to install). You should have also seen a window that asked if you wanted KDE as the default GUI.

If you have no GUI when the system boots into Mandrake, then the problem most likely is an incompatible video card. ATI cards are known for this. Did you test the video card/monitor settings during the install?

What laptop is this?

If either of you truely do not have KDE installed (elected not to do so during the install) it can be installed from the Mandrake cd disks, from within the install/remove utility from within Mandrake's control panel. To see if KDE is installed you can do the following;

To add programs (and check to see if KDE is installed) in Mandrake, go to start (Mandrake star)-->system-->configuration-->configure your computer

(insert your root password when prompted)

Choose "software management" -->install

Type in KDE and click search

If you don't see the packages that imroot mentioned, then you have KDE installed. Let us know if this is the case or not.

Originally posted by afrouz:

Quote:
I have same problem

1)I downloaded 3 free cd of mandrake

2)It sounds none of thoes CDs installed KDE

3)after rebooting my laptop, I see options: (linux-windows-failsafe..)

4)all above option (except windows) give me command line and no graphical view will load

Weird, something similar happened to me.

I downloaded the 3 (iso) cds.

With install I unchecked CD 4, cause I dont have one!

All worked fine, KDE also.

But then the NEXT day Mandrake 10.1 Official started up with prompt only!

Now I am trying to upgrade/intstall and it asks for the bloody CD 4 again! LOL!

What did I mizz.................? shocked

try typing (i think this was the command)

startx

in the command prompt

I also am new to Linux and (after installing , re-installing, uninstalling windows, installing linux, reinstalling windows, extalling winex, and extrapolating exicaniton [you get the picture]) I realized my interface was not as spiffy as the screenshots showed...so i reinstalled. I could easily install gnome, but if I chose to install both gnome and kde or only kde, the system would crash and I had to reboot. This led me to assume that KDE was on the mysterious fourth disc that doesnt seem to exist.

Anyway, I had about given up on KDE when I came across this forum. Borrowing danleff's idea, I went to the install and location and checked the box to install KDE (note, I was using the GNOME interface at the time.) It then asked me to insert disc 1, then disc 3, then disc 2, then disc 3, then disc1, etc...and after it appeared done, it informed me some packages were not installed. Curiously, I tried checking the KDE box again, and after doing the disc dance one more time, it managed to get everything done.

So, just try that, and then you should be able to log out and sign back in on KDE; the interface I am now happily running ^-^

I have the same problem with KDE and Mandrake 10.1... I dont have any GUI and will have to fight with the commands... Can anyone give me instructions on how to preceed to get KDE up and running?

I dowloaded the "3CD Version"...

THX

Dodo

I have the same problem with KDE and Mandrake 10.1... I dont have any GUI and will have to fight with the commands... Can anyone give me instructions on how to preceed to get KDE up and running?

I dowloaded the "3CD Version"...

THX

Dodo

Guys (and gals, if appropriate) look at my last post. Did you choose KDE as your default GUI during the installation?

If you did and do not get a graphical interface, something is amiss on your system, most likely related to monitor settings or the video card.

During the install, there is also a summary screen. If your video or say LAN connection is not configured yet, you will see a message under that category to configure graphics or the LAN (not configured).

Laptops are another issue and difficult at times. Do any of the mentioned systems have an ATI video card? These are particularly troublesome in some laptops, especially with the ATI mobility video chipset.

KDE is one one of the 3 cd disks that you downloaded. The fourth cd is included in the version for Mandrake club members only - added packages and such. It is not needed for a normal installation.

Posting some system specs, say the make and model of laptop, would be helpful to assist in troubleshooting the problem.

If you type startx at the command line, do you get a result of messages, one that says something like "no screens found?"

I tried "startx" and the following was shown

(EE) No device detected

(WW) Option "XkbOptions" requires a starting value

(WW) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (no such file or directory)

My specs: Intel P4 2,6Ghz on a ASUS P4P800 with 1GB RAM. I also have a Leadtek WinfastA400GT TDH (6800GT) and an Audigy2 ZS. The HDDs are both from Maxtor: one 40GB and another 120GB drive.

I am re-downloading CD3... I think something was wrong with the image.

Not to be disrespectful to anyone.... but I don't think you REALLY read the post.

Mandrake 10.1 has a fourth install CD with KDE 3.3 on it...

If you don't have the fourth CD then you get KDE 3.2

As far as I know the only way you can get CD 4 is as a Club member or buy the box set

3) Type this in a console as root

urpmi.addmedia main ftp://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/Mandrakelinux/official/10.1/i586/media/main with media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/Mandrakelinux/official/10.1/i586/media/contrib with media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia jpackage ftp://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/Mandrakelinux/official/10.1/i586/media/jpackage with media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia plf-free ftp://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/plf/mandrake/free/10.1 with synthesis.hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia plf-nonfree ftp://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/plf/mandrake/non-free/10.1 with synthesis.hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia --update updates ftp://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/Mandrakelinux/official/updates/10.1/main_updates/ with media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz

then type

urpmi kdebase

that will definately install KDE

but there is absolutely no reason for KDE to not install in the firstplace.

I hope you all downloaded Mandrake 10.1 Official and not Community?

Another Option is if you have a day to spare compile KDE 3.4.0

1) http://developer.kde.org/build/konstruct/stable/konstruct-stable.tar.bz2

2) extract konstruct

3) browse to konstruct/misc/detektive

4) make (you are now told what your system is missing type urpmi and missing rpms one at a time)

5) browse to konstruct/meta/kde

6) make; make install (takes 12+ hours on 1 ghz machine)

once finished it puts kde in /home/'your username'/KDE3.4 so change to it

7) cd /home/KDE3.4/

8) ./startkde

i dont know how to make KDE 3.4 start on boot other then make a link for all KDE files to where Mandrake installed 3.2.3 (/usr/bin and usr/lib) frown so if someone knows please share

Ok everyone I figured out the problem. I began exactly the same as everyone above. Through many different websites I pieced together the solution.

First, look for the error, it comes immediately before the Fatal Error line. It usually (but not always I think) starts with (EE). More than likely this will give you the exact place of the problem, and if not it should give you a starting place.

Second, this is the hardest thing to answer, "how do I fix it?" Well the simply answer is mess around with the settings. I got the no screen to load or whatever it says line so I had a good idea it was my monitor or video card. So I used the "xorgconfig" command and just kept changing one thing at a time. I had onboard video and didn't know my video card so I just kept trying different video cards and finally got it working. Be patient, took me like 5 hours of messing around and reading.

You could use a text editor "vi" and edit the file that holds all the info for your settings, but that was too difficult for me. But if you want to try it you would type vi /etc/X11/xcon.fig (The file name is above the Fatal error line. I've forgotten it and it's late)

The last thing I would say is many of you on here try to help, but forget that this none graphical world is difficult from us coming from Windows. One website told me to edit the file and save and exit. Well that is easy, if you know how to do that. Like above to start editing you could us "vi" "file name" and use the editor (which is difficult in it's own right). To save and exit you have to type :wq. If you do not want to save but you want to exit you have to type :q!. All these little things make it hard for us to wade through the water and we come for help to get through this rough patches.

The best thing to do is google vi commands or something. I would just like to see you guys dumb it down some more. I know I read this post and got absolutly no where. You guys assumed the problem was that we didn't load the KDE, but I did and I bet most everyone else did, so move and try to solve the problem without assuming you know the fix and dwelling on it.

That is my 2 cents, sorry if it's mean, just way too long on one problem that was rather easy and hope this helps someone else save an immense amount of time.