Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
joedude

HOW-TO: Move Windows XP from RAID to NON-RAID???

Hi,

Currently my install of WindowsXP is installed on a RAID setup. I recently got one of the new Maxtor HDD with 16MB cache and want to relocate my XP install onto it.

I Ghost'd my current installation to the new Maxtor HDD. Hooked up the Maxtor to SATA channel 1 (Intel). It boots up, lets me login, but them promptly logs me off.

I've Ghost'd before, but going from one RAID to another RAID so I assume it has to do with the fact that it is currently running RAID then finds itself booting off of a Non-RAID.

Any suggestions on how to go about correcting this problem without requiring a full reinstall?

My mainboard is the ABit IC7-Max3.

Thanks.

Is it because in ghosting your current setup, so too is the configuration for RAID?

I dont know of an easy way to it.......

To be honest (and if I was in the same situation), I'd move all of my own docs, settings and installation programs to a new partition (on the RAID disks) then build XP from scratch on the new disk.

When all is done I'd then blow away the old partition and then make the partition with all the progs and docs on the maximum size of the RAID.

Hi

Yeah I'm ghosting XP as-is.

I was going to try sysprep to ditch all the identified devices, etc. and the XP would have to redetect all the gear. Not sure if that would work though, guess I'll give it a shot and if it doesn't just reinstall from scratch.

I was just wanting/hoping to avoid doing that - got a lot of apps installed.

Thanks.