Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LinuxCrusader

ProMepis 2005.b4 help

I installed SimplyMepis and messed with it for about a week. No complainst. I think it is very stable. I installed ProMepis yesterday. It comes with a few glitches, but I think I like what see in this distro.

However, the glitches that I found were for one, firefox kept crashing on me at first, second the fonts that I tried to change on firefox would go back to its default fonts everytime I tried to change them, third sukperakaramba kept crashing on me a couple of three times but now seems ok.

Anyhow, the one that I still would like resolve is how do I get rid of some of the partition icons that get mounted into my desktop. I had this same issue with knoppix as well and even SimplyMepis. I like my desktop somewhat clean and I don't want to have all those icons all over my desktop. I have tried deleting that specific line on the fstab, but of course it must be dynamic since after reboting the always reappeared.

You right. The fstab file is auto-generated at start. Lindows does this as well. I do not know how to disable this in Mepis, but I believe that we have a Mepis expert here on the boards. Now who was it....? shocked

Hopefully this will prompt a reply.

Alright, I found the solution to this in one of the mepis forums and I like to post it here in case someone else is looking for the samething.

I found like three ways to do it, but the easiest one would be to open up control center->Desktop->behavior->device icon tab, and uncheck the 'show devices for mounted' and unmouted as preferred. This will remove all devices from desktop, then you can move on into adding the spefic devices/partitions that you would want always load on your dektop or an a spefic new folder in your desktop where you can have them all grouped in there. You can add the spefic devices by right clicking on the desktop (or inside the new folder) and select 'create new->device->and select hard disk, cdrom, floppy etc., then in the gui that comes up, click of the 'device' tab and then select from the list the specific partition that that would want to associate the new device with. Once you do this, you can rename it and change its mount and unmount icon as well.

Mepis fstab is dynamic, but there's also an area above the dynamic line in the fstab where you can set this lines to be static and change their attributes and mount points as well

Another easy way would be to remove all your icons first from your desktop as stated above and then open your file manager and go into the devices folder, then simply drag onto your desktop the device folder that contains all the devices and link it there. This link folder will contain all your device icons, but the thing is that you can't rename them there...at least I didn't find that.

Alright..one task down, many more to go.