Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sasfmj

wine rpm

hi

i have just download the the wine rpm file and am wanting to install it i click on the icon but nothing happens and in termail

as root still cant get it to work how do i install programs using

these rpm files

thanks

I believe the command for rpms in a terminal is: rpm -uvh or -ivh depending on what it is you exactly want to do, but both will install it. If it says its missing a certain package go to rpmfind.net and type the name of the package, download it..and install it. What distro you on?

Daum

mattah is right. Some of the distros offer a "GUI" install of RPMs but my experience has been that they often don't work very well. Once you learn how to install RPM's via the command line, it's just too easy.

First, open a terminal and become Super User. You do this by typing...

su

...and pressing enter. It will then ask for your root password. Enter it and press enter. Then do what mattah said. If your wine rpm is say, wine-20050111-1fc3winehq.i686.rpm you would type from the command line:

rpm -ivh wine-20050111-1fc3winehq.i686.rpm

And press enter.

A little trick: The tab key is your best friend. It will auto-complete things for you once you learn how to use it. From the command line type:

rpm -ivh wine

Then press the tab key. It should then fill in the rest for you so you don't have to type it all in. smile

Good Luck!

Use "rpm -Uvh" if you want to update software. Personally, i just use "rpm -Uvh" to install all software.

LOL! iamroot, I do the same thing! -Uvh defaults to -ivh if it isn't actually an upgrade, but I thought I'd better show him "the right way..." smile