Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cweepy

Fedora Core 2 2.6.5 updates...

Hello,

I've scoured the internet for info on this, but have been unsuccessful, maybe someone here can help. I have two computers here at school one laptop (xp), and a IBM Aptiva AMD 475 with Fedora Core 2 2.6.5, the dorm is equipped with wireless, the laptop is using PCMCIA and the IBM is using USB Belkin Wireless F5D6050. The problem is the IBM (FC2) box has no internet access so I can't use up2date to update the computer, now I know where to get the updates, but don't know which to download. Can someone help me?

As much as I appreciate the reply, did you even read my question? I said I know where to get the updates, but theres hundreds there, I can't fit all of them on a cd, so which are critical in order to operate my USB Belkin Wireless adapter.

So first you need to get your wireless adapter wirking, right? That might be tough. Not all wireless chipsets are supported. Try linuxant (www.linuxant.com) for drivers.

The Linuxant driver may work, but in the end, it will cost you $20.00 USD to get the license, once you find that it works, just so you are aware.

To show you how difficult it is with this card, see this thread.

I do not believe that Fedora has a driver for this card yet, at least not on their up2date pages.

The other option is the Atmel Driver.

I aways hate to share these articles with folks, as usb adapters are still a work in progress and very frustrating, such as in this reader's post on the Fedora Forum.

Thankyou for your help, I'm in the process of d/ling the program from linuxant.com and I'll let ya know how it works out.

Heres the deal...the Linuxant.com Driver Loader operates over the internet, which I don't have because the drivers I'm attempting to get are for the Wireless Adapter...what now? Something I'm missing?

As far as I can see, it can be installed either as a regular rpm or a .tar file. So you'll have to download it on another machine, then copy it over to run the install.

In the meantime, do you have a regular ethernet connection you can use?

I wish, they said it was equipped for 10/100 so I assumed is was ethernet, but when I moved in I found its 802.11b. Only hardwire connection is 7 floors down, and I'd rather not haul my box and monitor down there.

Ok, so I have downloaded the FC2 2.6.5 specific rpm for driver loader(which I didn't do last time) but now I'm lacking the utility to open it...what now?

Yep, from what I remember, the utility comes up on locally on your web browser, but needs a confirmation (temporary) license key which is verified over the net from their web site to your box. You can try to e-mail them and ask them if there is a workaround.

Ok...firstly I'd like to thank you all for being so helpful during my time of need, smile. After an hour of trying to just rpm -i the rpm file I realized what I thought was a lowercase "L" was actually a "1", and finally got it to run. BUT once I got to the part where I'm to select the .NTF or .INF driver off the driver cd...no files at all with those extensions, not even on the manufacturer website. I'm assuming I need to extract the .CAB files and they will be in there? If so, what utility would suffice for that task? Once again this is a Belkin 802.11b USB Wireless Adapter F5D6050. Hope you guys can help, thx again!

[Edited by cweepy on 2005-02-06 13:46:47]

I've tried extracting these damn .cab files with winzip, and zipscan but keep getting an error saying they aren't valid or aren't the same as defined in "mid-1998". I'm confoosed!

****UPDATE****

Got cabextract which did not work, but referred me to unshield, which does extract the .cab but the closest ext to .inf is .in_ what now?

****UPDATE****

Got cabextract which did not work, but referred me to unshield, which does extract the .cab but the closest ext to .inf is .in_ what now?

Did yall abandon my thread? I have been waiting for 4 days for a reply, please help!

It seems that Belkin has designed their driver files this way. If you don't have the drivers cd, how about asking the folks at Belkin if this is possible.

I could not extract them either. But, a quick e-mail may get a response from Belkin, or at least a link to an answer on their web page. I could not find one.