Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
1Roadog1

Intel Chipset Installation Utility Questions

I got the bright idea to build my own HTPC from scratch. I have done surprisingly well given the fact that I'm no brainiack with computers.

My hardware list includes:

Intel D915PBL MOBO

2.8GHz Pent. 4 775 CPU

1.24 Gig Ram

200 Gig Seagate Barracuda SATA Hard drive

480 watt Antec Neo Power supply

DVD/CD RW burner/player

Windows XP Pro Media Center 2005

Hauppauge WinTv-PVR-500 Tuner card

Abit ATI x700 Pro PCI Express Video card

I have done fine with the OS installation. Then I noticed the speakers were not functioning. I figured my next step should then be to install the Intel Chipset Software Utility. First off, I am very confused with the instructions. There seem to be alot of different "Line Flags"? (i.e. -A, -L -p...etc.).

The other instruction is to copy the <INF Extract Directory>\XXXX\WinXP directory to the root directory of the floppy disk (A:\). Now I'm really lost. As dumb as this sounds, I don't know where to find this Inf extract directory, and copying to root directory of floppy. This must be easier than I'm making it out to be.

Any help would be severely appreciated.

Thanx,

Roadog

I would ignore the flags, they really are not needed for the average user. Just run the install app and when it's finished you restart the machine, simple as that wink

The flags are really for admins and/or testing if inedeed you have some instalation issues.

Thanx for the quick reply Jmmijo,

I did the install and my mouse (Intellimouse USB) would not respond. I tried installing the mouse driver, rebooted and still no mouse movement. I reinstalled XP (probably didn't have to do the full install, but did) and I have use of the mouse. would I be better off using a non USB mouse for now, or do I need to look at installation issues? If so, any ideas?

Thanx again,

roadog

First things first, is the XP install cd the latest, that is does it come with SP2 or SP1a ?!? If only the latter then make sure you get and install SP2 first then go ahead and update the rest fo the driver packackes.

Then I would get the latest INF/Chipset software installation utility from Intel's website to make sure that the version that came with your motherboard isn't corrupted or has some kind of bug that is causing this issue with your mouse.

I've never had this issue myself, unless it's been a defective USB port and/or mouse wink

Also, if the motherboard BIOS settings are at their default then the onboard USB should be enabled and set for USB2 mode as well. However if you have any other USB device then you should try this out too just to make sure it's not some sort of compatibility issue with your USB mouse and that motherboard wink

I do have the latest versions of all you referred to. SP2 is installed and the Chipset Utility was fresh off the Intel site yesterday. The mouse is stolen from my Alienware computer and has been working, but I will try another USB device as soon as I get the chance, just to be sure there are no issues with USB2. My BIOS settings are at default. Thanx for your input, I will let you know what happens as it happens.

roadog