Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
-=Mman=-

Best Linux Distribution

1. 1. Sharepoint migration 2010

• Migrating to Sharepoint 2010

well.... what do you think - and a small explanation would be appreciated.

P.S. - i mean the latest distribution of each... but if you think an earlier was better - note in your message.

M.

It all comes down to what your requirements are, and what your personal preferences are. I was a heavy Slackware user because of my work, but when I am at home, I use Mandrake 9.0, because I can easily install and configure all the hardware to required to do online gaming natively in linux. My stress relief laugh

It's all in the Maintenance... Might be a Biotch to get setup sometimes (use KNOPPIX first to detect hardware)

Then

apt-get install <package of your choice>

That simple.

To "update" the machine

apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

No-re-installs ever needed on the machine... if you want ot change it from a Workstation for developers to a server... it just a matter of selecting the "template" for it. ANd a Good internet Connection...

One of the first I tried was mandrake 7.2, wich was quite cool. Then I tried Redhat 7.1 and 7.2 (7.1 worked better). Now I use SuSE 8.0 and maybe I should upgrade to 8.1. It has cool features like Yast2 and you can upgrade it over the internet. (You can probably do this with other distibution too)

I think I shold try debian too, but SuSE is very easy to use.

SuSE. It has an excellent software engineering and it's very neat and organized. Installation took only 15 minutes in a system with an 1.7 GB AMD and 640MB of RAM. I'm using version 8.1 and I got a positive feedback from my wife regarding the ease to use.

The con is that one cannot get a download edition of SuSE as simple as from Red Hat or Mandrake. SuSE only offers a "network" installation that is not that simple for users with basic or no knowledge of network.

Another thing is the technical support for English users. If you need that from North America, be prepared to spend some money in long distance call and speak with someone from UK. I tried to use a few times since I was gifted the Professional box, however, I gave up because apparently they do not follow up the calls. There was a time I called them and was told to wait for their contact. After a few weeks, I called again and was told that the Represeantative who answered me has left the company and they had no record of that call. As if that was not enough, I wrote about that to SuSE, through a form they have in their website, formally complaining about that problem and got no answer from SuSE.

So, once again, their software engineering is good, excelent and really pays for someone that has intermediate or advanced knowledge of Linux and could dismiss that support. But if one is expecting support, keep the above feedback in mind.

Well honestly it all comes down to preference. In my case I'm some where between a newb and a power user. I enjoy redhat for it's ease of use and large share of the market. That means most if not all things work with it. At the same time as being shiny on top I can still get down and dirty with it with out worrying if I'm going to run into to many issues. But that's just me. Oh yeah and I'm studying to become an RHCE which I suppose makes me partial. BBIAgent still rocks my world though! wink