Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dcamp67

Allocation of memory on local drives

My hard drive (as most yours are, I'm sure) is partitioned off into two local drives; c: and d: I am beginning to have space issues on the c: drive (~15 gig) and have all this space available on the d: drive (~18 gig). How do I go about reallocating some of that space on the c: to the d:?

XP SP2

TIA

David

Well may I suggest you don't and just add a second larger capacity HD as a single HD partition instead wink

HD's have gotten very cheap now and you can easily add a second drive as the SLAve drive after jumpering the original as the MASter drive.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I forgot to mention that this is in a Sony Vaio FRV27 laptop. I wouldn't mind adding a new HD, but there physically isn't room for one.

Ah, that does make a difference then wink

Partition Magic allows you to resize and even merge adjacent partitions together however I don't recall if it could move data that already exists on one of the partitions and moves it over to the partition you've resized or not.

Basically you maybe in a position where it would be better to backup any important data first, then do a complete wipe of both partitions and reinstall the OS onto one partition rather then into two smaller ones like you currently have.

The other option to consider, especially for notebook/laptop owners is to purchase an external USB enclosure with the HD capacity you wish to have, for instance an 80~120GB models are pretty inexpensive for this particular use laugh